If the Sabres accept Briere's arbitration deal

buftex

Supposing, as is being speculated, the Sabres agree to accept Briere's arbitration deal, at 5mil for one year, is there any rule that says they (Briere and the club) can't renogiate a long term deal, in the coming season, preventing Briere from becoming a free agent?

I know a lot of people are down on Briere now, claiming it was about the money all along. I don't believe that, but who wouldn't push it, if they were pretty sure they could more than double their salary? If he comes out, and is unwilling to re-negotiate a longer term deal, at possibly a slightly lower salary (say a 4 year deal worth 4 mil a year) I might be more inclined to question his sincerity.

Either way, whatever happens, Darcy is going to have to re-visit the club policy of not negotiating during the season. I think that policy (Darcys' rule or not) cost the Sabres some dollars in the long run, and likely another lost free agent or two...

I'm afraid you won't find a cap expert here. Dave knows an awful lot, but there are just so many nuances, you almost have to be in the business to understand them. No one here knew about the Sabres having 48 hours after the final arbitration award to make a decision on ALL of the decisions, and that was critical. It allows Darcy to look at the big picture and not decide player by player. I'd suggest looking at a copy of the CBA on the Internet and just waiting for "official" info. in media reports and from the Sabres themselves.

CSB -- I'm not sure what you're saying. The Sabres can sign Briere to an extension OR re-sign him?

Supposing, as is being speculated, the Sabres agree to accept Briere's arbitration deal, at 5mil for one year, is there any rule that says they (Briere and the club) can't renogiate a long term deal, in the coming season, preventing Briere from becoming a free agent?

I know a lot of people are down on Briere now, claiming it was about the money all along. I don't believe that, but who wouldn't push it, if they were pretty sure they could more than double their salary? If he comes out, and is unwilling to re-negotiate a longer term deal, at possibly a slightly lower salary (say a 4 year deal worth 4 mil a year) I might be more inclined to question his sincerity.

Either way, whatever happens, Darcy is going to have to re-visit the club policy of not negotiating during the season. I think that policy (Darcys' rule or not) cost the Sabres some dollars in the long run, and likely another lost free agent or two...

At this particular moment in time, the Sabres have 2 options. They can accept the award and pay him $5MM next season or they can walk away from the award making Danny an UFA.

The Sabres currently have until roughly August 8 to make the decision. Mair's hearing is currently set for August 4. The arbitrator will rule on that contract on August 6 so the Sabres will have to decide which contracts to accept and which to walk away within the next 48 hours (i.e. ~noon on August 8). If all 7 players still eligible for arbitration go to arbitration, then for all intents and purposes the Sabres can walk away from 4 awards. If Mair settles prior to a decision being rendered, then the Sabres have 48 hours from whatever is the last arbitration related action (the last remaining player signing a contract without arbitration or the final arbitration decision is issued) to decide which contracts they will accept and which they will walk away from (if any).

There is nothing in the CBA preventing the Sabres from trading Danny's rights to another club provided the Sabres don't walk away from the award. My interpretation of the CBA is that the team can't trade him prior to agreeing not to walk away from the award, but that is merely a procedural issue not a substantive one.

Whoever holds Danny's rights CANNOT negotiate a long term deal with him until January. The media reports that the Sabres were working on a LT deal AFTER the arbitrator issued her ruling with the intent of trading him after he signed a LT deal were BOGUS as no player with a valid contract can extend the terms until January of the final year of the contract.

After the calendar flips, assuming the Sabres still hold his rights, they may sign him to a long term deal. If they have traded his rights, then whichever team he is playing for can extend his contract at that time.

Archived