off season

Dump & Chase

Pyatt --

Was a spare part. In the new game, a 6'4 puck ragger and heavy checker is not needed. The AHL will require all its players to wear shields this season. Thus, the "Guerins,' 'Berts,' 'Pyatts,' et al. of the world are a thing of the past. This is especially the case if you are a winger. The centers - Guastad, etc. are still of value b/k of faceoffs and the need for sie up the middle of the large ice surface for PP and PK. Driving the net and all that crap is now useless. Better to have skaters who can score off the rush - ala Roy, Pominville, Breire, Afinogenov.

Tallinder --

With him signed the team will have the finest defense in the national league. Kallinen is ready to break out and Tallinder is a top 2 guy now. Spacek's heavy shot from the point makes the PP better and takes the pressure of Campbell to play his all around game. Mckee was a dinosor at $4 mil. He career will end up like Brendan Witt -- as a midwest slow footed early 1990s scrub.

Miller --

Should be his year to win at least 40. But look at Turco, a college goalie who should have been "the man" Ruff must hedge against a meltdown. Maybe Biron stays with the club till MArch 10 for this reason.

Biron --

He has NO value. A 2nd rounder or a 4th liner aint worth it. The Amreks are filled to the brim with such players.

Vanek --

Regier can move Dumont once VAnek shows he can pot 30 and 15 PP goals consistantly. JPs days are almost over as he only plays well at home.

Paille --

Guy is sticky and allways in the right position to make plays. He will take Griers spot. Good little player. Wish he was a center. He will surprise some people this season with his hitting and PK work.

Ruff --

He has to get a PP coach who can milk his to p5 for goals. With Spacek now, this unit has no excuses. This should be priority #1 in camp this season. They dont need to work on skating or defense or anything except PP and chemistry and more PP.

Pyatt --

Was a spare part. In the new game, a 6'4 puck ragger and heavy checker is not needed. The AHL will require all its players to wear shields this season. Thus, the "Guerins,' 'Berts,' 'Pyatts,' et al. of the world are a thing of the past. This is especially the case if you are a winger. The centers - Guastad, etc. are still of value b/k of faceoffs and the need for sie up the middle of the large ice surface for PP and PK. Driving the net and all that crap is now useless. Better to have skaters who can score off the rush - ala Roy, Pominville, Breire, Afinogenov.

Tallinder --

With him signed the team will have the finest defense in the national league. Kallinen is ready to break out and Tallinder is a top 2 guy now. Spacek's heavy shot from the point makes the PP better and takes the pressure of Campbell to play his all around game. Mckee was a dinosor at $4 mil. He career will end up like Brendan Witt -- as a midwest slow footed early 1990s scrub.

Miller --

Should be his year to win at least 40. But look at Turco, a college goalie who should have been "the man" Ruff must hedge against a meltdown. Maybe Biron stays with the club till MArch 10 for this reason.

Biron --

He has NO value. A 2nd rounder or a 4th liner aint worth it. The Amreks are filled to the brim with such players.

Vanek --

Regier can move Dumont once VAnek shows he can pot 30 and 15 PP goals consistantly. JPs days are almost over as he only plays well at home.

Paille --

Guy is sticky and allways in the right position to make plays. He will take Griers spot. Good little player. Wish he was a center. He will surprise some people this season with his hitting and PK work.

Ruff --

He has to get a PP coach who can milk his to p5 for goals. With Spacek now, this unit has no excuses. This should be priority #1 in camp this season. They dont need to work on skating or defense or anything except PP and chemistry and more PP.

Interesting points, D&C. As far as the PP, though, perhaps I'm misinterpreting you, but you make it sound like we had a crappy PP. This may have been the case in the playoffs after Connolly was hurt, but during the year, we had one of the top 3 PPs in the league the whole season.

Also, regarding Biron, I agree with you that he won't fetch that much in trade. Howeve, the main reason to trade him from the Sabres' perspective is to free up about $1.5 million per year in cash to pay Briere, Tallinder, Max, Miller, etc.

I'm intrigued by your comments about Paille. Have you watched him play much? I've never seen him play but have heard good things about him. Certainly with 2 forwards having departed there is room for one of the Amerks to claim a spot.

Pyatt --

Tallinder --

Miller --

Biron --

Vanek --

Paille --

Ruff --

Well, certainly one of the more engaging posts of the offseason so far.

Pyatt: You're right on, except I don't think driving the net is useless. Did you happen to watch the Carolina series?

Tallinder: He is the future of the Sabres' blueline and it's a great future with him there. But McKee isn't a dinosaur--he's not obsolete, merely overpaid--and there were plenty on this board (myself not included) who were eager to see Witt in Buffalo. Not sure why on that last bit; I agree with you. As for Kalinin, well, that breakout season should have been '05-'06 or maybe even '03-'04. Biggest disappointment on the roster last season, IMO. And yes, I'm taking the injuries into consideration.

Miller: Should be, could be, will be? Hope so. He's got the skills and the poise, but so did another young, up-and-coming Sabre goalie in 2000-01. Let's hope this one sticks.

Biron: Agreed that draft choices aren't the solution, and the longer the Sabres hold on to him, the better the return. It's an absolute must to keep him until Miller is signed, and like you (I think), I want to see a player in return, and not more future Amerks.

Vanek: Your comments puzzle me here. When was Dumont a "consistent" 30-goal man? This past season, Dumont was one of the bigger disappointments to me (but see Kalinin, above). Vanek was a rook; Dumont, a veteran. Dumont was excellent last season at creating space in the offensive zone by drawing defenders--a skill not to be underestimated--but he's shown more goal-creating flair in the past than he did last year. Vanek will improve, and hopefully, Dumont will too.

Paille: Will not replace Grier anytime soon. Grier's ability as a defensive forward depends heavily on his experience against other NHLers, which is experience Paille lacks. Grier knows and anticipates the moves, the flow, and the territory; he didn't when he was younger. It's five years before Paille can carry Grier's jock in that department. In my mind, the Sabs should have signed Grier at the price he got out in Cali.

Ruff and the powerplay: Agreed that it needs improvement, but partly because later in the season, the Sabres moved away from something that worked: FEED KOTALIK ON THE POINT. Why was that abaondoned in February and thereafter? Buffalo doesn't need a new coach for that.

With all those agreements and disagreements stated, please let me commend you again: Strong post.

Well, certainly one of the more engaging posts of the offseason so far.

Pyatt: You're right on, except I don't think driving the net is useless. Did you happen to watch the Carolina series?

Tallinder: He is the future of the Sabres' blueline and it's a great future with him there. But McKee isn't a dinosaur--he's not obsolete, merely overpaid--and there were plenty on this board (myself not included) who were eager to see Witt in Buffalo. Not sure why on that last bit; I agree with you. As for Kalinin, well, that breakout season should have been '05-'06 or maybe even '03-'04. Biggest disappointment on the roster last season, IMO. And yes, I'm taking the injuries into consideration.

Miller: Should be, could be, will be? Hope so. He's got the skills and the poise, but so did another young, up-and-coming Sabre goalie in 2000-01. Let's hope this one sticks.

Biron: Agreed that draft choices aren't the solution, and the longer the Sabres hold on to him, the better the return. It's an absolute must to keep him until Miller is signed, and like you (I think), I want to see a player in return, and not more future Amerks.

Vanek: Your comments puzzle me here. When was Dumont a "consistent" 30-goal man? This past season, Dumont was one of the bigger disappointments to me (but see Kalinin, above). Vanek was a rook; Dumont, a veteran. Dumont was excellent last season at creating space in the offensive zone by drawing defenders--a skill not to be underestimated--but he's shown more goal-creating flair in the past than he did last year. Vanek will improve, and hopefully, Dumont will too.

Paille: Will not replace Grier anytime soon. Grier's ability as a defensive forward depends heavily on his experience against other NHLers, which is experience Paille lacks. Grier knows and anticipates the moves, the flow, and the territory; he didn't when he was younger. It's five years before Paille can carry Grier's jock in that department. In my mind, the Sabs should have signed Grier at the price he got out in Cali.

Ruff and the powerplay: Agreed that it needs improvement, but partly because later in the season, the Sabres moved away from something that worked: FEED KOTALIK ON THE POINT. Why was that abaondoned in February and thereafter? Buffalo doesn't need a new coach for that.

With all those agreements and disagreements stated, please let me commend you again: Strong post.

Couple quick comments. The Sabres did offer Grier the same deal as SJ. Also, I think the reason they stopped feeding Kotalik at the point was because other teams caught on to it, and started to always keep someone close to that shooting lane. Can't take the shot if someone is in the lane (Well you can, but it often turns into a breakaway the other way). Despite not being able to get Kotalik's shot from the point, they stayed pretty consistent throughout the rest of the regular season, and right up until Connolly got hurt.

Pyatt --

Tallinder --

Miller --

Biron --

Vanek --

Paille --

Ruff --

Great, great post.

A few thoughts:

You sure Max qualifies as someone who can score off the rush? (Sure, he can skate.)

As for Tallinder, I remain a little concerned about relying so heavily on Scandinavians on the blue line -- they seem brittle. Is that unfounded. As for McKee, I doubt he's a dinosaur (he can move pretty well), but he was not worth what the market bore.

As for Miller, you're right to say that the position is riddled with guys who had monster years, only to fade into Bolivia (as Mike Tyson would've said). Is Ryan something close to the next Roy? Or is he fixing to be more of a Checkmanek [sic] -- maybe Turco's a better analog (hope not, of course).

As for Vanek, I am hoping to see more from him this year.

As for Paille, I hope you're right.

As for Ruff, finding that chemistry again may prove impossible. Still, even something close to it might be enough.

Archived