Another BIRON rumor

syr6987

I Live in Pittsburgh and heard this on the local radio station, that there were talks between the Pens for a trade between buffalo for Biron, Max and 2 draft picks for Serge Gonchar and Colby Armstrong

I think buffalo is giving up too much their......Gonchar was one of the biggest busts in hockey this year but Armstrong is going to be a great player one day............ Plus there is no way pittsburgh woudl need biron they already ahve a starter In Fleury who they think is going to be great

I Live in Pittsburgh and heard this on the local radio station, that there were talks between the Pens for a trade between buffalo for Biron, Max and 2 draft picks for Serge Gonchar and Colby Armstrong

I think buffalo is giving up too much their......Gonchar was one of the biggest busts in hockey this year but Armstrong is going to be a great player one day............ Plus there is no way pittsburgh woudl need biron they already ahve a starter In Fleury who they think is going to be great

There is no way that this makes sense for Buffalo. Gonchar is worth at least 4 mil a season in this market.

Also I don't see Regier taking on salary and losing draft picks.

They may be talking, but I don't see this one getting done.

I could see something getting done for Armstrong and Max, however with Biron and Gonchar left out.

I wouldn't believe that rumor unless I saw the ink on the trade papers with my own eyes. The Sabres are not going to pick up an over the hill defenseman at $4.5MM this season and costing $5MM toward the cap no matter how good Armstrong is.

As you mention, I don't see Pittsburgh looking for a goalie; they'd be strictly looking to dump Gonchar's salary. 2 solid players, each on ST $2MM+ contracts for a liability on a high $ LT contract, and then 2 picks for Armstrong could make sense for the Pens as they have a LOT of young talent in the system and can afford to lose 1 good prospect forward but it doesn't add up for the Sabres.

I think there is probably some truth to this rumor from the Max for Armstrong angle. It would give us a good young forward with some great upside, while giving up Max who could be pricing his way out of a Sabres sweater after the 06-07 season anyways. Not to mention the fact that it lets the Sabres avoid dealing with Max's arbitration case, freeing up more money to pay Briere.

I don't know a damn thing about Armstrong. Where's he from? When and at what slot was he drafted? Where did he play junior or college at? How do we know he has a bunch of upside?

Seems to me another young fellow not too many years ago was a can't miss prospect, drafted fairly high, I think. Eric something. Rasmissunthenetagain.

I don't know a damn thing about Armstrong. Where's he from? When and at what slot was he drafted? Where did he play junior or college at? How do we know he has a bunch of upside?

Seems to me another young fellow not too many years ago was a can't miss prospect, drafted fairly high, I think. Eric something. Rasmissunthenetagain.

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect/colby_armstrong

I used to live in the 'Burgh too, and I have to wonder which radio guy came up with this ... sounds like it is something Mark Madden would pull out of his enormous ass to get people talking hockey in the summer because he hates the Pirates.

It just doesn't make sense ... I mean, for the Pens it does, gets them out from under Gonchar's HUGE, long-term deal, gets them a goalie who can win now if Fleury is not ready (the kid probably needs therapy after playing behind that defense last season) and they don't lose any offense adding Max. Armstrong IS a good prospect who is a little gritty, the Sabres could use that. But it is not worth giving up assets in Marty and Max that can bring value in trades AND adding Gonchar's contract AND giving up draft picks ...

Where would Gonchar play anyway? which of the top 6 D-men sit? Kalinin? Makes no sense.

If there is any truth to the rumor, it would be that this is what Pittsburgh is offering up. There is no way Darcy is going to be saddled with Gonchars contract and a nice prospect who has toiled in the AHL for 3 years in exchange for his leading scorer/most dynamic player PLUS a starting goalie PLUS a couple of draft picks.

Archived