Since the Sabres Game in Rochester flopped...

Bmwolf21

I am thinking this might not be a bad idea, especially when the Sabres are gone on a long West Coast road trip. I know there are logistical concerns, plus whether or not the Panthers would have any say in their players coming to Buffalo for one game, but I wonder what kind of turnout could we expect for an Amerks game at HSBC Arena? Obviously it would have to be at AHL/Amerks ticket prices, but I think it would be a good opportunity for Sabres fans to see some of the Sabres' future stars.

What say ye?

I am thinking this might not be a bad idea, especially when the Sabres are gone on a long West Coast road trip. I know there are logistical concerns, plus whether or not the Panthers would have any say in their players coming to Buffalo for one game, but I wonder what kind of turnout could we expect for an Amerks game at HSBC Arena? Obviously it would have to be at AHL/Amerks ticket prices, but I think it would be a good opportunity for Sabres fans to see some of the Sabres' future stars.

What say ye?

It's fine but this is not a new idea. They had 3 or 4 Amerks games at HSBC during the Lockout season. They drew well. I think they even had another Amerks game there during the '03 season and they drew around 5,000 or so.

It's not a huge moneymaking effort... Why not attempt to generate a little revenue on a night when the HSBC would be dark anyways? If the amerks and/or sabres make a dollar on it, that doesn't seem to be much of a problem with me. I'd go see the amerks play if i had nothing better to do.

Why?

Buffalo has the Sabres already. I don't see a reason why fans would be rushing out to sell out HSBC arena to see the Amerks play when they can see the Sabres

Look outside the box.

The Boston Red Sox host a futures game for their minor league affiliates at Fenway Park. Charge little, pack the joint, and everyones happy.

Golisano owns HSBC...why not book it every night?

I'm not sure how it would work with the Panthers, but considering the way young players have been moving up and down between the two teams I think a lot of season ticket holders and dedicated fans would go to see the game, especially in the middle of one of those long West Coast trips.

It's fine but this is not a new idea. They had 3 or 4 Amerks games at HSBC during the Lockout season. They drew well. I think they even had another Amerks game there during the '03 season and they drew around 5,000 or so.

I thought I had heard of them doing that, but couldn't remember if it had actaully happened or was a figment of my lockout-addled imagination.

It's not a huge moneymaking effort... Why not attempt to generate a little revenue on a night when the HSBC would be dark anyways? If the amerks and/or sabres make a dollar on it, that doesn't seem to be much of a problem with me. I'd go see the amerks play if i had nothing better to do.

That was what I was thinking - could be a fun family night, maybe give people in BUffalo who might not be able to afford an NHL-level game a chance to see one, maybe two games at minor-league prices.

Look outside the box.

The Boston Red Sox host a futures game for their minor league affiliates at Fenway Park. Charge little, pack the joint, and everyones happy.

Golisano owns HSBC...why not book it every night?

Good point fushetti - I was thinking about how the Bisons packed the stadium the couple times the Indians came down for an exhibition game. They had a pre-game HR derby, and made it a fun day. I know we would be on the other end of it, with the minor league team coming to town, but still. I wonder what the cost of doing a single AHL game would be (opening the facility, ushers, etc.) and therefore how many tickets they would have to sell to make a buck or two (or at least break even.)

If not an AHL game, why not expand the fan fest - bring up some of the Sabres players assigned to Rochester, and split the squad for a full exhibition, or work in some of the All-Star game Skills Competitions - hardest shot, fastest skater, etc.

Sorry - trying to break the monotony of packing boxes and rubbermaid bins and just brainstorming a little. :D

If the Sabres can't sell out a game in Rochester, I can't see Buffalo being able to make any kind of money from bringing in an AHL game. Atleast not enough to make it worth while to have it at HSBC.

Bringing an major league franchise to a town with only a farm team would draw interest, bringing the farm team into a city that already has a major league team, probably not a money maker.

Archived