A Second Round Pick For Marty?

bob_sauve28

at worst, we've got a solid (and expensive) backup until the winter, when someone gets anxious and gives Darcy what he's looking for..he's too good of an asset to just release..we'll get some decent compensation for him when the time comes. Biron should be the least of our worries right now..

Have the feeling no one is going to give us much for Marty. Hope it doesn't come down to us just releasing him.

I'll say the same thing I was saying at the trade deadline...Package Biron and (Kotalik or Dumont) and get a solid defenseman and/or prospect in return.

That will only work if biron is willing ot sit around until Darcy finds the "Right Deal"

Biron is already pissed about not being traded before the draft, I doubt he is going to just sit by and wait til Darcy finds the right deal. It is definitly not fair to Marty who could have demanded a trade last season after he went on the win streak and was still the backup. He kept the smile on his face and did not cause any distractions and played his role when he could have been a distraction, and for that he deserves to get dealt to another team before training camp starts and well there are still teams looking for a goalie.

That will only work if biron is willing ot sit around until Darcy finds the "Right Deal"

Biron is already pissed about not being traded before the draft, I doubt he is going to just sit by and wait til Darcy finds the right deal. It is definitly not fair to Marty who could have demanded a trade last season after he went on the win streak and was still the backup. He kept the smile on his face and did not cause any distractions and played his role when he could have been a distraction, and for that he deserves to get dealt to another team before training camp starts and well there are still teams looking for a goalie.

He deserves? He has a restricted contract. He deserves to wait until Darcy finds the right deal, or somebody pays for him.

If that means dealing him mid-season, that's what it means.

I actually don't think his stock as a number #1 goalie is that high. In the middle of last season the

only teams seriously considering him as a possible number one were Vancouver and Edmonton - and they went with other options. His career has been inconsistency with flashes of brilliance, and even his 13 game winning streak his GAA was only just below 3.0.

I think Marty would be a great rotational goalie, but if someone thought he was a cheap number 1, I think that would have happened by now.

He deserves? He has a restricted contract. He deserves to wait until Darcy finds the right deal, or somebody pays for him.

Well thats a good way to treat your players

Marty did his part and stayed quiet last season when he knew his days in Buffalo were over, and now to reward him for his years in Buffalo and his good team first attitude, when he wants to be moved so he has a chance to start somewhere the GM decides to take his time getting a deal done until the perfect deal falls in his lap. I'm not saying they should take the first shiney item to be offered, but a deal should be made quickly. Why didn't Edmonton hold on to Pronger until they could get an even better deal at the trade deadline or tell him too bad you have to honor your contract? Because maybe they respect their players and the service they have provided to them that they are willing to help the player out as much as they have helped the team out

No wonder briere and Grier made comments about the teams direction. If they treat there players this well, Who wouldn't want to play in Buffalo!

I agree it sucks that Biron is getting/will continue to be treated this way, and I wish they could wave , the wand and send him to a team out west that will make him a no. 1, we'll get a top-4 "D" in return and we'll only have to face him once a year. That being said, in reality he is still a valuable asset to the team, and Darcy needs to get as much of a return as possible for him. Its a critical way to keep improving the team - deal from areas of strength (or ones that have more sought-after players) to improve areas of weakness. Likewise, let's not act like this is a new problem for the team - Darcy could have moved Marty last year (instead of Mika) and maybe improved the team for the playoff run. Then this year we would have Ryan with Mika backing him up, and could concentrate solely on improving the "D."

The only similarity between Biron's siuation and that of Pronger is that both asked to be traded. Seeing how the market went for FA defensemen in the first couple days of free agency period, Edmonton knew they could strike while the iron was hot and get a pretty good deal for Pronger. In contrast, the goalie market right now is a buyer's market not a seller's, so the Sabres may have to sit on him until training camp or further, possibly waiting until someone's no. 1 goes down with a lengthy injury.

Now the Biron trade request is moot if Darcy can't find a suitable backup, someone who can play 20+ games and we can trust for a stretch if Ryan gets cold, hurt, needs a rest, whatever.

Archived