Does the Doug Weight deal bother anyone else?

SDS

Get a guy for a few games, win a cup and ship them back to the original team? :angry: I think that sucks. I would put in a rule that once a player leaves a team via trade, he cannot go directly back to the original team the following season. It just feels wrong.

Get a guy for a few games, win a cup and ship them back to the original team? :angry: I think that sucks. I would put in a rule that once a player leaves a team via trade, he cannot go directly back to the original team the following season. It just feels wrong.

If he was traded back to St. Louis you might have reason to question it. Since he returned due to free agency, is it really any different than any other rent-a-player situation?

If he was traded back to St. Louis you might have reason to question it. Since he returned due to free agency, is it really any different than any other rent-a-player situation?

I think it is... Clearly, there was a wink and a nod and although there was some risk on SL's part that he might not come back, it still a contemptable practice.

I am not bothered by this move at all.

I think St. Louis overpayed to get him back.

Weight is a smart player - but his 80 pt seasons are

well past him.

I guess Davidson is looking for a mix of veterans.

(even though I think Davidson is still a boob)

Weight is still a dangerous set up man - but he'll need

some wingers.

Couldn't agree with you enough on this. Makes me hate Carolina even more now. :angry:

By the way, love your avatar.... HOT HOT HOT!!

When Weight was traded from St. Louis to Carolina I read his comments, which were:

"I'm not afraid to say I love St. Louis," Weight said before he left for Carolina. "It's a place that's dear to me and it's a place where I'd love to end up. Who knows? Before you turn around I could be back here.

"There's not a place I want to win a Stanley Cup more than here."

(The full article can be found here: Weight to Carolina)

This guy knew what his plan was and knew he would return to the Blues. On another forum site, I made a thread about it and about how I thought it was unprofessional to say something like that right when you've been traded, and my opinions were met with opposition from most people.

Anyway I would, of course, agree that Doug Weight is an @$$hole, has been and always will be. It's not just because he signs with a team to win a cup then goes back to his old team, it's that he is a prima donna and has been an arrogant player and person his entire career. Look no further than his comments on Pominville for evidence.

I can care less that he's back in Saint Louis...Who gives a #%^$#! about that really? He was a rent-a-player who was a free agent. Oh well.

The thing that pisses me off is that he got 7 Mill over 2 years. Hell, if I was Chris Drury, i'd be holding out for more. We know the Sabres won't pay more than that anyway...so scratch that thought.

The money being tossed about is making me nauseous. Is it better to have a bunch of middle tier players or a few high priced guys and a team of no names? For my money, Darcy isn't the guy that should be making the decisions. Hell, he's just been a yes man for Rigas, the NHL, and now Golisano. Does he have serious hockey acumen? But, its not my money...so i have no say. Oh wait, i'm a STH... so i'm entitled right? pfft. Nice #%^$#!in logo. Fire away Darcyites..

Its still early, but i'm not crazy about this offseason...logos, free agency, pending season ticket bill... #%^$#!

happy fourth of july

I can care less that he's back in Saint Louis...Who gives a #%^$#! about that really? He was a rent-a-player who was a free agent. Oh well.

I don't care about DW specifically, I just think the whole practice is distasteful no matter who engages in it.

I don't care about DW specifically, I just think the whole practice is distasteful no matter who engages in it.

Engages in what? A free market system? He couldve signed anywhere and I'm sure in the 5 years he spent as a Blue he loved the city and their people. There was nothing malicious that Doug Weight or anyone in their position did.

Would you have been upset with Ray Bourque if he decided after winning the Stanley Cup in 2001 that he wanted to retire and play his last game in a Bruins Uni? No, we probably would all be happy for him in that sentimental sick way that we all feel toward older veterans even though they have always slayed us.

We all just hate DW cuz he was a friggin Hurricane and our team lost to them. I see nothing wrong with what he did.

We all just hate DW cuz he was a friggin Hurricane and our team lost to them. I see nothing wrong with what he did.

It's not what he did - it is what the Blues and the Hurricanes did. I am very much against the rent-a-player for 3 months practice. I find it particularly distasteful when he just turns around and goes back to the original team after those 3 months (I guess especially playing for a Stanley Cup winning team.)

If the Blues want to trade him - fine... but he shouldn't go back to the Blues until the season after next.

It's not what he did - it is what the Blues and the Hurricanes did. I am very much against the rent-a-player for 3 months practice. I find it particularly distasteful when he just turns around and goes back to the original team after those 3 months (I guess especially playing for a Stanley Cup winning team.)

If the Blues want to trade him - fine... but he shouldn't go back to the Blues until the season after next.

How are the Hurricanes implicated in this? What exactly did they do wrong?

Maybe i'm wrong, but I see no problem with what happened at all. Lets bear in mind, we've had our share of Rent-a-players over the years that have helped us.

Archived