Start of Free Agency

SabresBeat

Elias is a bonafied scorer and probably a "star", but not a Jagr like Scorer "star", he's a team player who works very hard. He kills penalties, he plays defense, he plays at 110% all the time. In my opinion, although he might be considered a "star" he's as bonafied a good hockey player as there is.

Keep in mind we have 22 Unrestricted free agents, do you think we'll get them all? If I had to pick though, With Grier most likely leaving I'd rescind Pyatt's offer, and I'm unsure to how healthy Connolly is gona be, although I wouldn't cut him or anything. I also view Adam Mair as expendable for a player of Elias' caliber.

Oh i also agree on the Leetch thing, but I'm pretty sure Leetch knows what he's worth now a days.. he's playing hockey for the love of it, and because he can.

The Sabres are about players who each play a role. It's not as simple as plugging in Elias and letting Mair go. Are you going to pay the money for an Elais and only have him play 15-20 minutes a game? I doubt it. You toss in a Elias then the entire team becomes unbalanced. Players like Pominville and Roy see a lot less ice time and other players like Gaustad find their roles diminished.

Big name flashy players are fun. They create excitement. But in the end they don't always make your team better. I feel a player like Rucchin would fit in a lot better and not upset the balance. ;)

I'm having Deja Vu of last summer. There's going to be a ton of action around the league, big $$$ thrown around, and nothing from the Sabres front office. It's still fine by me. I know a lot of people are freaking out about it, but a lot of these guys are being overpaid (e.g. Jay McKee). He can be a $4M defenseman in St. Louis, but he was more like a $3M or less in Buffalo and most other places.

Deep breath, ok, so, the Sabres are going to make a few calculated moves and concentrate on locking up some of the RFAs. Biron will go, but it may not be for much. Someone, may come in on defense, but don't be surprised if Janik or Paetsch are in that role instead. Like DeLuca said above, it's all about the balance in Buffalo.

Free agency is an exciting time for hockey fans, not Sabres fans! So, enjoy it, but don't look for too much out of Buffalo.

Archived