Feasable or not?

gregkash

OK, I've been called out. Here's my reasoning:

1. I think giving McKee $3+ million per year, which is what I think it will cost to keep him, would definitely screw up the salary structure. He's our 3rd or 4th best defenseman. Paying him that much would drive up everyone else's expectations/demands.

2. I don't think we are going to be active in the free agent market at the $4 million- $5 million level, for the same reason. The players that are available at that level are very good but aren't true franchise players. I don't think anyone here wants to bring in Bryan McCabe or for that matter Daniel Alfredsson, at $5 million per year. Again, if a good-but-not-franchise-type player gets that kind of cash, the bar goes way up for Drury, Briere, Miller, Tallinder, Connolly (that's right, apus, he's coming back strong next year), etc.

3. (here comes the doubletalk): However, if a guy like Pronger, who was the MVP of the league a few years ago, was a legit Conn Smythe candidate this year, played 35+ minutes per game throughout the playoffs, was great on the PP, PK and even strength, was an absolute rock of a leader and more or less put his team on his shoulders and carried them to game 7 of the finals should become available to us, at age 32 and at a contract that is only a net $1.5 million more per year than those we'd hypothetically be trading for him, with that contract locked in for four more years -- hell yes. I'd make that deal in a heartbeat.

I'd make the same deal for: Ovechkin, Niedermayer, Staahl, maybe Chara and I don't know who else but not too many guys -- and only if the contracts were the same or better than Pronger's (ie same cost and same number of locked-in years).

[EDIT: forgot to mention:] As far as the effect on team morale and others' salary demands: I think the other players would be pretty psyched to bring in a guy like Pronger. They would recognize that this is one of the biggest half-dozen stars in the league and wouldn't begrudge him the cash. They'd think that their chances of a cup just increased substantially -- and they'd have renewed faith that management/ownership are willing to do what it takes to get them there.

If that's internally inconsistent, feel free to rip me. I'd be amazed if this really happened. Maybe I just got intoxicated by the impossible dream of Pronger. He was awesome in the playoffs this year. And it would certainly take the sting out of losing McKee, eh?

Go Sabres.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I really hope Connolley can come back stronger then ever, I just don't see it likely happening and its a shame.

As for everything else, Yes pronger would only be a net of 1.5 million over what we hypothetically give up, but that would mean a replacement for Biron and Max would have to play for free cause you are now short those 2 players

I would also like to see Ovechkin, Stahl (although because he played on Carolina it sickens me to say that), but not Niedermeyer (too old) or Chara (he doesn't impress me at all after watching him in the Buffalo Ottawa Series)

And I don't see this team being psyched about bringing someone like him aboard because they have been working as a team and have believed in the "we are a team with no superstars" that to add a superstar like pronger would now cange that philosophy

You may very well be right about Connolly. I just enjoyed his play so much this year that I'm determined to think positive about this.

You got me on the net $1.5 million -- my math was off. I was adding Max ($1.2 million), McKee (1.6 million) and Marty ($2.2 million) and subtracting an assumed $1.2 million for Max's and Marty's replacements -- and came up with $4.8 million instead of $3.8 million. The right answer is $3.8 million, which means we'd need another $2.5 million to pay Pronger, not $1.5 million.

Having said that, I think I'd still swallow hard and make the deal for Pronger at that level. OK, PAFan? I'm ready to swing for the fences!! I just think it makes sense to swing for the fences with a guy like Pronger, as opposed to swinging by paying McKee at a level which is going to drive up everyone else's salaries.

Now, I will freely admit that we were so GD close this year (and I really think we would've won the cup with Connolly and 2 of the injured defensemen) that maybe it's not a bad idea to swing for the fences by paying McKee and everyone else more -- ie keeping the same group together and taking another shot at it. I just think I'd rather put the cash towards a genuine franchise player (and I will agree to disagree with Apus about the locker room effect of adding Pronger) and try to hold down the rest of the payroll.

Also, as long as we're daydreaming about adding superstars, Niedermayer is only 1 year older than Pronger (ie he is turning 33 later this year, while Pronger is turning 32) and was as much of a horse in the playoffs as Pronger was.

Holy cow I can't believe how addicted to hockey talk I am.

Go Sabres.

I just think I'd rather put the cash towards a genuine franchise player (and I will agree to disagree with Apus about the locker room effect of adding Pronger) and try to hold down the rest of the payroll.

The problem with adding a guy like Pronger is that it throws their "plan" right out the window. They are supposed to be a team that has no "Superstars" and plays as a team, and the players salaries are evenly paid (all salaries are pretty even with no one making alot more then another, and no one making much more then what Drury is making)

Adding Pronger's salary can only be compared to what the salary was of the player he is replacing. By that I mean You can't say that by dealing Biron and Max for him and letting Mckee go you make up most of Prongers Salary cause it doesn't work that way. Pronger coming in will replace McKee's salary and then lessen the amount we can spend on other positions (the same arguement everyone had about resigning McKee to 3+ million, that money could be spent elsewhere on other players and get us 2 good defencemen instead of just one)

But as long as we are all dreaming that Darcy is gonna make a deal for a player being paid more then just a song and dance, I hear they are going to sign Chara and Redden and that there is a deal for Marty that will send Luongo over to Buffalo (Vancouver traded for him only to deal him to the Sabres) and Pyatt and Peters are being dealt to Washington (who want to get tougher) for Ovechkin. :rolleyes:

Has anyone seen the new explanation for why Pronger wants out of Edmonton? This story is far more entertaining.

Last I heard it was due to personal reasons and that its was because his wife didn't like Edmonton and lived in St. Louis her entire life and wanted to go back

Whats the new story? Did she sleep with Ted Nolan when his AHL team traveled through Edmonton?

Last I heard it was due to personal reasons and that its was because his wife didn't like Edmonton and lived in St. Louis her entire life and wanted to go back

Whats the new story? Did she sleep with Ted Nolan when his AHL team traveled through Edmonton?

I don't recall Nolan coaching in the AHL. Do you mean the QMJHL?

The story is that he got an Edmonton beat reporter pregnant. The Oilers message board has actually threatened to ban anyone who mentions it now, in fear of legal action.

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/nhl/is-this...-out-184268.php

http://www.edmontonoilers.com/phpBB2/viewt...bc2e7040ea9b74e

Archived