New SI Power Rankings

hopeleslyobvious

Those TSN rankings are partly based on some convoluted formula that includes goals for and against and also takes player rankings into account and adds them up or something ... it makes the NFL QB rating system seem simple.

Not that it is bad, it is probably pretty accurate over the long haul, not sure what it is like in the short term though. One thing I did see when the guy was answering emails about it was he said that shootouts mean nothing to his rankings because basically they are just ties as far as the true strength of your team is concerned and it should be a reflection of who would win a 7-game playoff series, so having success in a shootout doesn't come into play.

Overall, I try not to pay attention to any of these power rankings but I have to admit I always get sucked in to looking at them.

Always nice to see:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...ngs4/index.html

Has anyone looked at the latest TSN rankings? Does it strike anyone else as odd that the Bruins are ranked 11th and the Sabres 12th? Apparently a 2-0 head to head record doesn't mean much to them.

:D

yeah i got a real good laugh out of the TSN rankings today. good stuff.

Well if we were playing a Best of 7 series with Boston, I'd be pretty happy with how we're doing so far.

I know I'm going to get grilled for this, but while the shootout might not matter to the strength of your team on paper, I think it is a reflection of your team in other ways...aka clutch players. So while a shootout win maybe should be considered less than a regular win for power-rankings purposes, it should be worth something to the winning team.

And yes, I know what kind of trouble this comment is going to cause. ;)

Not to mention the fact that Canadians -- especially Torontonians -- hate the Buffalo Sabres. Always have, always will.

Can't say the feeling isn't mutual.

Has anyone looked at the latest TSN rankings? Does it strike anyone else as odd that the Bruins are ranked 11th and the Sabres 12th? Apparently a 2-0 head to head record doesn't mean much to them.

Totally ignorant on their part. It's not like we hadn't played them, not to mention one win was AT Boston !

Archived