VERY poor effort by the Sabres

navybillsfan

Not sure what i feel but Gerber is in their heads now. Simple as that. 4 1/2 periods and no goals on him. Carolina has the experience, they look like the better team and now they have the better goalie to boot. If Buffalo somehow manages to win this series it will be the greatest accomplishment I've seen in many years. We look beaten.

No sense of urgency in either end, no legs, nothing. Effort was disappointing at best - too many big-name players didn't show up or brought their "C" games.

This of all Sabre teams does not deserve to have its effort or character questioned. That's asinine.

This is not that hard a game to analyze. Gerber was terrific. Miller was average.

Good night.

you're right boss - and that is why it is a best of 7 series. carolina looked like this for game 3 and they turned it around.

for me right now, the toughest part is accepting that we might not be able this time to overcome injuries. let's be realistic. it is a lot easier to plug a few extra forwards in the lineup and have them play good D, backcheck, and maybe pop a goal in; but with D, they are just as much a part of defensive play as they are offensive. the key to this team is picking up speed coming through the neutral zone and we have too many d-man in the lineup right now not capable of doing so. (either bringing the puck up ice or finding a man breaking)

i'm sure i'll get harassed for this and i don't mean to make excuses, but damn it is just not fair how the tee-vee market with 44,000 fans watching the game tonight vs the market with 200,000 is now getting the bounces and avoiding the injury bug....

This of all Sabre teams does not deserve to have its effort or character questioned. That's asinine.

This is not that hard a game to analyze. Gerber was terrific. Miller was average.

Good night.

If we had outshot Carolina by a wide margin then I would agree with you, but we managed just 22 shots on Gerber, with 11 of those coming in the first period.

I'm not questioning their character, but the effort, considering the injuries to the D, was disappointing. They needed a strong effort from the forwards backchecking, needed to establish a forecheck, get the first goal - anything to take the pressure off the D. The PP was horrendous, we made a ton of bad passes and bad decisions with the puck in the neutral zone and in their end. Doesn't really come to down just Gerber outplaying Miller...

Nobody said it was gonna be easy... No way do we have this bad luck 2 more times!

IMO, it is going 7 boys... I still think they have enough gas in the tank to take it back to Raleigh... And turn the negative into positive! Anything can happen in 7... And that formula will be found in game 5, win or lose... I still believe... I still believe that half of the series winning formula was found out today for Buffalo, not Carolina... Lindy is "constructing" (ie: Pominville on D)... Again, there was no urgency today.

It wasn't like they totally collapsed... Even know it appears to! I see a spark there still flickering... It is matter of finding their legs and opening it up... Some of the odd men rushes were there... THEY NEED TO OPEN IT UP MORE... And let Miller handle it... He will!

Most of the goals weren't really things a beauty either... They are wearing us done slowly... We are just gonna have to pick it up and take chances!

They just weren't getting the bounces today either... It will straighten out...

Don't fret.

I think PaSabre said it best... Miller looked great at times, yet let in the softies (and some weren't really his fault)... Could have easily been a 2-0 game for Carolina... And who knows how they will figure out Gerber, but it will happen!

They beat us on I think one odd man rush cleanly... That is why I think they need to turn it up and go after the 'Canes' strength... Let it hang out on Sunday!

:D :D

"Gerber is in their heads now"

so was Hasek in the Dallas Stars heads too...

and look what happened...

don't worry...

To everyone that was there at HSBC tonite.WAY TO GO!!!you were loud and proud...

.......just like my old man always says "We Got Em Right Where We Want Em..."

GO DUCKS!!!!(we need that series to go as long as possible!!!!)

"Gerber is in their heads now"

so was Hasek in the Dallas Stars heads too...

and look what happened...

don't worry...

To everyone that was there at HSBC tonite.WAY TO GO!!!you were loud and proud...

.......just like my old man always says "We Got Em Right Where We Want Em..."

GO DUCKS!!!!(we need that series to go as long as possible!!!!)

I am with you!!!

:D

Good night.

I actually have to disagree with you on this, For a team with so much heart, they seem to play these types of games a couple times each series where it looks like they are somewhere else. Sometimes they have luck on their side, and other times they don't and they look worse.

The problem tonight wasn't really defence, its that our offence just threw pucks at the net hoping for Gerber to make a mistake, and he turned out looking really good. Miller was good for a goalie with no offencive support. He kept them in the game for a while, but they could not capitalize off of it. The silver lining to this is that usually buffalo comes off games like this looking really good in the next game.

If we had outshot Carolina by a wide margin then I would agree with you, but we managed just 22 shots on Gerber, with 11 of those coming in the first period.

I'm not questioning their character, but the effort, considering the injuries to the D, was disappointing. They needed a strong effort from the forwards backchecking, needed to establish a forecheck, get the first goal - anything to take the pressure off the D. The PP was horrendous, we made a ton of bad passes and bad decisions with the puck in the neutral zone and in their end. Doesn't really come to down just Gerber outplaying Miller...

They also needed to hit like they did in game three. The hitting took Carolina out of its game in game three. Tonight, we let them play their game and than some. Also, it was not only lack of effort on the part of some of the forwards, it was bad decision making throughout. When is Max going to figure out that it's not him against the world? He is hopeless out their attempting to blast through the entire Carolina team.

I actually have to disagree with you on this, For a team with so much heart, they seem to play these types of games a couple times each series where it looks like they are somewhere else. Sometimes they have luck on their side, and other times they don't and they look worse.

The problem tonight wasn't really defence, its that our offence just threw pucks at the net hoping for Gerber to make a mistake, and he turned out looking really good. Miller was good for a goalie with no offencive support. He kept them in the game for a while, but they could not capitalize off of it. The silver lining to this is that usually buffalo comes off games like this looking really good in the next game.

They through pucks at the net because Carolina gave them little opportunity to do much else, especially the way they clogged the middle. Plus, the Sabres continue to have this wonderful knack of passing up good shots and winding up with little if anything to show for it.

To me, it looked to me like part of the problem was the D in addition to the lack of effort from the forwards. It looks like the impact of the injuries are starting to show. Two poor efforts at this stage is pretty unacceptable. I'm hoping they can turn things around but home ice is gone and Carolina has the big M on their side as of now. It's going to be an uphill climb.

They through pucks at the net because Carolina gave them little opportunity to do much else, especially the way they clogged the middle. Plus, the Sabres continue to have this wonderful knack of passing up good shots and winding up with little if anything to show for it.

I thought was came out pretty strong and had some good opportunities early, but Gerber stoned us. Hats off to him. I agree with you though that the Sabre's squandered a lot of chances later in the game by hesitating on shots. I distinctly remember one where Dumont waited for Gerber to come across then hit him right in the eye of the Hurricane on his chest. They also tried to make the "pretty pass" instead of getting a decent shot on goal, especially on the power play. 4 PPs, 1 shot... not good.

Give Carolina credit though. They've got a hell of a team and we're going to have to play our best.

Archived