Sabres get Dominated for 40 Minutes and Lose By a Goal...

matter2003

Man, I have to say that might have been the worst game I've seen the Sabres play this season(OK, maybe not as bad as the 7-1 game against Toronto or the 5-0 game against San Jose), but it was right up there with those. Easily the worst game we played all playoffs. And guess what?

We were a Fluke goal and a fortuitous swipe off the goalline from either going to OT or from winning the game if both of those breaks went our way. We acted the whole game as if we were afraid of the puck and kept handing it to Carolina inside the blueline like we were trying to give them a gift. We missed passes, didn't get to pucks, couldn't get shots off that we normally score on in front of the net, made some very poor pinching decisions where we got caught, and overall(especially for the first 40 minutes) looked like we had expected Carolina to just roll over and go away. By the time we realized that they weren't, namely the 3rd period, it was too late(similar to the Ottawa series game 3). I have to say if that's all the Canes can do, barely beat us when we play one of our worst 3 games of the season, they are in some deep trouble. They are also in some deep trouble because Ward looks nothing like this great goalie, and looks more like a merely average goalie who could give up 4-5 goals per game if we get 25-30 shots on him.

I expect Buffalo to come out strong in game 3 and take control back in this series. I still don't see Carolina winning this series, mainly because we will not play that poorly again, and the team with the better goalie usually wins in the playoffs, and it becomes more and more clear that team is Buffalo.

I guess we can get the bad game out of the way in this series early and get back to playing Sabres hockey and getting to the Cup Finals...

Yes, the Sabres did not play well. But what I saw was the Hurricanes playing a very good, aggressive game. They took it to the Sabres from the opening, played with intensity and desperation. Yes, the refs let a lot of stuff go. But the Sabres would have lost by three or four goals if Miller hadn't stopped a lot of shots that might have gone in (despite the one soft goal he did allow).

it is going to be hard for the Sabres to win three more against the Canes. They can do it, but it ain't gonna be easy.

Yes, the Sabres did not play well. But what I saw was the Hurricanes playing a very good, aggressive game. They took it to the Sabres from the opening, played with intensity and desperation. Yes, the refs let a lot of stuff go. But the Sabres would have lost by three or four goals if Miller hadn't stopped a lot of shots that might have gone in (despite the one soft goal he did allow).

it is going to be hard for the Sabres to win three more against the Canes. They can do it, but it ain't gonna be easy.

where do your loyaties lie good Dr.???

where do your loyaties lie good Dr.???

Completely and totally with the Sabres. But I'm not blind--they Canes completely outplayed them last night, and the swordsmen are going to get run out of this series if they can't raise their game. I think they can do it, but it won't be done by underestimating the canes the way so many here were talking after game one.

Completely and totally with the Sabres. But I'm not blind--they Canes completely outplayed them last night, and the swordsmen are going to get run out of this series if they can't raise their game. I think they can do it, but it won't be done by underestimating the canes the way so many here were talking after game one.

That Canes team was skating circles around the same Canes team that came out in Game 1. So, the question is which team is the Canes team we'll see in the next few games. Last night may have been the aberration -- a game they had to come out and play strong. I don't see the Canes having the same motivation issue as the Sens, so I'm not sure which team is more indicative of the team we'll see in Buffalo.

BUT, anything short of that Canes team that came out skating last night will equal an L in Tobaccie-Land.

Archived