Lets just give the Sens some credit

matter2003

Hey, let's just give the Sens some credit for playing a solid game...

They came out flying in the first period and scored an important first goal, and played throughout the game with the type of desperation they were missing in the first 3...

That being said, I did think we controlled the play for virtually all of the 2nd period and a good portion of the 3rd as well, we just couldn't put the biscuit in the basket as they say.

Emery is not gonna play that way for the remainder of the series, however long it goes(I still maintain that Buffalo will win Saturday in Ottawa as they have all season, relishing the chance to win against the momentum), and we are not gonna miss that many good scoring chances. Ottawa might get feeling a little too good about this win and that will be all the Sabres need to take care of business...

...and we are not gonna miss that many good scoring chances...

Totally agreed there. There were several scoring chances tonight where I think we fans just expected the puck to find its way in because it always seems to (i.e. Hecht's almost-breakaway, Afinogenov in the slot and Dumont hitting Emery's glove). For some reason the team just didn't carry over the momentum from the second period. Two days off will do this team good though, methinks.

Sens certainly kicked it into a different gear tonight, no question about it. They out-hustled us and just plain out played us for the majority of the game. Emery made some good saves for them and we just couldnt get the damn puck to go in. We looked very disorganized and frantic at some points. Oh well, we dropped the ball (or puck) tonight but we'll get it back together in Ottawa.

I don't necessarily feel we got outhustled most of the game, I would say it was pretty 50-50...first period was all Ottawa, 2nd period was all Sabres, 3rd period was about 50-50...

It looked like that probably because we were winning 70-30 in the hustle battles for the first 3 games...

I don't necessarily feel we got outhustled most of the game, I would say it was pretty 50-50...first period was all Ottawa, 2nd period was all Sabres, 3rd period was about 50-50...

It looked like that probably because we were winning 70-30 in the hustle battles for the first 3 games...

I agree. I was mainly disappointed that the Sabres didn't go for it in the 3rd. They had such momemtum after period 2 and then Roy immediately comes out and takes a moronic penalty to put us behind. Then they sit back and let Ottawa dictate the syle of play until about 4 minutes to go in the 3rd and then it's too late.

Emery played great so I give him and the Sens credit. If we don't find a way to steal game 5 it could go seven.

What is really scary is that with all of these 1-goal games, it could be/is just a matter of how the puck may be bouncing on a given night. You might catch Emery totally out of position on a 2-on-1 break, but if that puck is bobbling a bit when it gets to the shooter, the shot goes wide, and one of your few chances is blown, and the game could change.

Emery has demonstrated a penchant for mental lapses on the ice, and to win this series, we have to capitalize on those. Then, on the other end, we have to play solid, mistake-free hockey (easier said than done), and do a better job clearing the zone when Ottawa settles in. This is what got us the 3-0 lead, and if we hope to close them out, this is what we need to do.

That being said, I think one-goal games are going to be the norm for this series.

Archived