What to do with Mittelstadt

Flashsabre

20 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I actually disagree with Cozens from last year.

He has the potential to be good 2 way, and he certainly is aggressive, but last year I re-watched WAY too many goals where his over-aggressiveness had him out of position and he was one of the main reasons a chance was allowed.  If/When he learns when to chase the puck with 100% effort vs when he is better to hold his position/spot on the ice, then he will be a very good to great 2 way forward.  But do not confuse aggressiveness and chasing the puck for being good defensively. 

His positioning on many, many goals allowed last year was awful.  I posted comments after watching a lot of replays, the story goes something like this...puck goes into the corner. Sabres D-man is going to the corner and will get to the puck first.  Cozens decides to chase the puck there anyway being the 2nd man in, leaving his spot on the ice, but not impacting the play because by the time he gets there, the puck has already been moved.  The loose puck gets pushed to the high slot where Cozens was but vacated that location to chase the puck, Center or D-man gets the puck un-opposed and walks right in for a scoring chance, goal allowed.  If he would have stayed where he was positionally, the loose puck that came to the area, he might have even taken possession and gone the other way with it.

Again, its good he is agressive and seems to push 100% out there, but he made a lot of positional mistakes that led to a lot of goals against last year.

I think a lot of their defensive mistakes can be characterized by that...young guys who always try to go for the puck and be aggressive like they are taught on offense, but it doesn't work like that on D...you need to be aware of spacing and where the players who don't have the puck are and more importantly where they are going and what they are trying to accomplish...

They still have some struggles in that area but it's much much better this year than last year and I would expect continues to improve as the young players learn to cool their jets a little bit on D and play a more sound, fundamental positioning game when called for and realize their responsibility in that part of the ice and who they need to be aware of.

23 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I project a 6 year deal at 7 per season if he finishes with 65+ points.  He wants to stay and he is an important locker room guy.  KA extended his BFFs Dahlin and Cozens.  I would try to minimize the usage of NMC/NTCs if I were KA.

The 6 year deal brings Casey to 30 and another good payday if his game is intact. 

I do wonder if locking up Casey makes it near impossible to retain Joki as well.  

This is where Ryan Johnson and Novikov come into play.   Can they be top 4?  

R Johnson -  6' 1" and 195 at 22 yrs old, he can skate and can make that good first pass out. 

Novikov -  6'4" and 210 right now at just 20 yrs old.  Could be a beast out there someday.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.