OT: Sally, Newfoundland-Poodle

Marvin

6 hours ago, Digger said:

Sorry to hear about your challenges @Marvin, Sabres Fan.  It's always been evident from your posts here that you have a heart of gold.

For the house I would recommend breaking down the renovations into what needs to be done structurally as a priority.  Roof, foundation, water management to keep everything dry.  That's key to have a house that's sound structurally and then you can work through interior updates and changes as time and money allows.  I only mention this because I have seen so many people go after far too many renovations all at once.

Your advice is spot on about getting the sequence right in prioritizing what has to be done. The only thing that I can add to your wise counsel is that very often when one is facing such a large and complex project it can be overwhelming. So sometimes when facing such a long term project it is productive just start off with a smaller and manageable tasks and getting them done. The psychology of completing a task, even if it is small in the grand scheme of the big picture, it can give you some confidence in dealing with the grand task of the remodel. Building off of your smaller success can give you the confidence to tackle the bigger projects that need to be done. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Thanks for the advice.  I next plan on renovating the bathroom floor, subfloor, and walls because of water damage.  After that, replace a nearly blocked cast-iron pipe.  Just doing things sequentially.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.