This Day in Sabres History :: April 17

April 17, 1977

The New York Islanders take Game 4 at the Aud to sweep the Sabres out of the playoffs four games to none. It's the first time in its history Buffalo has failed to win a game in a playoff series. Gerry Desjardins replaces Don Edwards in goal, but it makes little difference. It's the second playoff year in a row that the Islanders have dispatched the Sabres. The upstart Isles are on their way to Stanley Cups -- the talented Sabres to a legacy of Stanley Cup playoff disappointments.

April 17, 1994

Dominik Hasek makes 30 saves in the Meadowlands as the Sabres shut out the Devils 2-0 in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals. Todd Simon makes his only goal as a Sabre count -- he pots the game-winner. In the net opposite Hasek? Rookie Martin Brodeur.

April 17, 2001

It's pivotal Game 5 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals between the Sabres and Flyers at HSBC Arena, with the Sabres leading the series 2-1. In overtime, Curtis Brown swoops in front of the Flyer net and throws it top shelf on Roman Cechmanek. Brown gallops down the ice with some help from jockey Jay McKee's whip to the backside and photo-finishes past Dominik Hasek, who is spinning on the ice along the Buffalo blue line. Out of nowhere comes one of the most joyous moments in Sabres' history.

April 17, 2001

It's pivotal Game 5 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals between the Sabres and Flyers at HSBC Arena, with the Sabres leading the series 2-1. In overtime, Curtis Brown swoops in front of the Flyer net and throws it top shelf on Roman Cechmanek. Brown gallops down the ice with some help from jockey Jay McKee's whip to the backside and photo-finishes past Dominik Hasek, who is spinning on the ice along the Buffalo blue line. Out of nowhere comes one of the most joyous moments in Sabres' history.

One of the greatest moments ever at a playoff hockey game for me. I've seen a few game winners in OT in the playoffs...but that was was really good. I can still see him come out from behind the net and shoot it in. Hasek doing that snowangel or whatever was fantastic.

April 17, 1994

Dominik Hasek makes 30 saves in the Meadowlands as the Sabres shut out the Devils 2-0 in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals. Todd Simon makes his only goal as a Sabre count -- he pots the game-winner. In the net opposite Hasek? Rookie Martin Brodeur.

I didn't know we won game one of that series. Don't remember Todd Simon at all, actually. I of course remeber Dave Hannan's goal later in the series.

I didn't know we won game one of that series. Don't remember Todd Simon at all, actually. I of course remeber Dave Hannan's goal later in the series.

we lose the series in 7 games... game 6 was the 4 ot 1-0 victory on a dave hannan backhand goal (which should have been dissalowed. wayne presley was in the crease). It was one of the greatest playoff games ever. Game 7 was a forgettable letdown victory by the devils.