The Dahlin Lottery Win Ripple Effect

Thorny

Pertinent quote from Elliotte Friedman, from back in April:

“I think they’re looking at tearing that team down right to the studs. And you know what? If they get Dahlin that makes it easier for them to do.”

That seems to be a fairly interesting remark in hindsight. It's very difficult to pin down, but with regards to Botterill's transactions since, how much of a butterfly effect has the unlikely drawing of our bouncy ball combination changed the direction of this franchise, beyond just the addition of a Franchise-caliber defenceman?

I read the quote at the time as more of a statement about a potential rebuild, and less about a re-tool. But after the trade of ROR for a package of assets, and the trade for a win-now goal-scorer like Skinner, I'm left wondering if these trades would have still taken place sans lottery win, and how different the future course of the Sabres may have been otherwise. 

It's interesting to speculate on how Botterill's plans may have differed had the Sabres not got lucky..

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Pertinent quote from Elliotte Friedman, from back in April:

“I think they’re looking at tearing that team down right to the studs. And you know what? If they get Dahlin that makes it easier for them to do.”

That seems to be a fairly interesting remark in hindsight. It's very difficult to pin down, but with regards to Botterill's transactions since, how much of a butterfly effect has the unlikely drawing of our bouncy ball combination changed the direction of this franchise, beyond just the addition of a Franchise-caliber defenceman?

I read the quote at the time as more of a statement about a potential rebuild, and less about a re-tool. But after the trade of ROR for a package of assets, and the trade for a win-now goal-scorer like Skinner, I'm left wondering if these trades would have still taken place sans lottery win, and how different the future course of the Sabres may have been otherwise. 

It's interesting to speculate on how Botterill's plans may have differed had the Sabres not got lucky..

Sabres would have drafted a top flight winger and had to trade ROR for a top D and picks... would have been different and set time table back a bit... interesting question though.

To be honest i'd rather not think about where our team would be today had we not drafted Dahlin. We've lived thru years of disappointing hockey... wondering what if we had this or that, hoping to get back into the playoffs. It's like thinking of where our team would be if we still had Ville Leino on the team. I'd just rather not go there haha.

Interesting question & you're more than welcome to explore it. But all eyes forward for me, looking towards the future because our recent past has been brutal. The faster we break free from the doldrums of Sabres past the better imo. What a pleasant surprise today hearing Skinner's coming to town & thats nothing to Pu at ?

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.