Was this the hardest season for the fans in Sabres history?

dudacek

By the sound of things could it be worse?

Yes, it could definitely be worse. Imagine DB (I still refuse to learn how to spell his stupid name out of principle) having a longer tenure behind the bench than Lindy Ruff did. It makes my skin crawl just imagining it and it will hopefully never happen but that would definitely be worse.

I'm sorry about your dad. One of the biggest reasons your enthusiasm for a team can wane is when someone you've watched the games with passes away. It's almost like it's not really about the sport at all. With the Bills, when my dad died, and then my mom -- who was the true original troll, cheering for every team that played the Bills -- the experience was never the same. And you're not a bad hockey dad. Times have changed. It's all about the dollars now. Look at Fan "Appreciation" Night. I remember when they added ads to the boards and a sponsor to the scoreboard at the Aud. It was pretty jarring. It was also the beginning of the end.

Thanks for that. It's true that even when I'd go with my kids I'd be thinking about memories with my folks. Walking down the echoing tunnels at the old Aud because we usually sat in the Oranges and singing "Ooh Ahhh, Sabres on the Warpath". My parents didn't have much money so we'd always park so far away I'd be frozen by the time we got to the car. Sit between the two on that big bench seat in the front of the station wagon.  You are right. It's different.

2006 may have had the worst ending, but that season as a whole was a freaking blast. This year has been miserable from start to finish, though, so it takes my top spot--I've never actively hated my team before. I hate this team.

I'm getting there.  

I don't know if I'll be hating the Sabres yet - but IF we learn tomorrow (and it seems likely we will) that Abylsmal is retained for yet another year,  then I'll be flat out hating on Murray as GM, - especially given the terrible contracts and dead wood the team is saddled with that he himself is responsible for, like Gorges, Ennis, Moulson, etc.       

Edited by Jsixspd

I'm sorry about your dad. One of the biggest reasons your enthusiasm for a team can wane is when someone you've watched the games with passes away. It's almost like it's not really about the sport at all. With the Bills, when my dad died, and then my mom -- who was the true original troll, cheering for every team that played the Bills -- the experience was never the same. And you're not a bad hockey dad. Times have changed. It's all about the dollars now. Look at Fan "Appreciation" Night. I remember when they added ads to the boards and a sponsor to the scoreboard at the Aud. It was pretty jarring. It was also the beginning of the end.

Poignant stuff.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.