Boy do the Bruins hate Briere!

bottlecap

I was watching the game out here in Boston last night and the announcers

can't stop talking about what a cheat Briere is with all the diving. And how

the Sabres are the main team that has "taken advantage" of all the rule

changes this year.

They did make a point that Briere is too talented to stoop to that kind of thing,

but they clearly have alot of contempt for him.

I switched over to see a Dave Hodge commentary about the NHL's worst nightmare

being a game 7 overtime in the Stanley Cup finals, a player shoots the puck over

the boards and then the other team scores to win a Stanley Cup. Brought back bad

memories of '99.

The point is when Bettman is changing the rules every couple years, the refs end

up looking over their shoulders and unsure of how to consistently officiate within

the rules (that year). That's what bites. So players and teams adopt a whole new

set of manners to best fit the game THAT YEAR.

I think this is dangerous and it's inevitable that someone will seriously be burned

by the new rules and lack of consistent officiating, especially when it comes down

to crunch time in the playoffs.

Set your early Bettman lynching party now, don't be surprised when it happens.

''You've got to go down in order to get a penalty and they do a good job of it," said defenseman Nick Boynton. ''It's funny to watch them on tape, but it's really disappointing because it really hurts us during the games. The effort was there and we deserved a much better fate. Unfortunately, we're just not getting it."

Boyes said as exasperating opponents go, the Sabres are at the top of the list.

''It's pretty frustrating to play against them," Boyes said. ''They tend to go down just a little easier and they tend to draw a lot of penalties and it tends to be the same guys drawing a lot of penalties. For whatever reason, against these guys, we tend to take a lot. We're seeing the same things all game."

1-7 against a team makes you blame everything but your own Hockey skills......maybe the Sabres to go down a little easier than most teams.......but I know the Bruins hold a little more than most teams

that quote is crazy... the same guys draw penalties because they are GOOD players and the crappy Boston guys can't stay with them so they commit penalties. Think about who draws penalties against every team, the skill guys, the guys who can handle the puck, Max, Drury, Briere, Vanek, Connelly... Boston doesn't have anyone who can take them and it makes them mad and they take penalties. Why can't Boston just say, they are a talented team and have some guys who are hard to keep up with, we end up taking some bad penalites. I've heard several opponents say similar things this year about the Sabres, Boston just has a hard time admitting this.

that quote is crazy... the same guys draw penalties because they are GOOD players and the crappy Boston guys can't stay with them so they commit penalties. Think about who draws penalties against every team, the skill guys, the guys who can handle the puck, Max, Drury, Briere, Vanek, Connelly... Boston doesn't have anyone who can take them and it makes them mad and they take penalties. Why can't Boston just say, they are a talented team and have some guys who are hard to keep up with, we end up taking some bad penalites. I've heard several opponents say similar things this year about the Sabres, Boston just has a hard time admitting this.

It is easier to call other people out for diving, than for Boyton to admit it barely belongs in the league.

Buck Foston!!!

I think their contempt for Briere started a few games ago when he took their goalies mask off with his stick, and ran into him a couple more times. I have to admit I would have been pretty ticked if someone did that to Miller. However, I think the diving comments are a bunch of bunk and that their announcers are just ridiculous in general.

I wouldn't say that the Sabres are divers but embellishers. Most likely a penalty would be called but sometimes it helps to make it look worse. When I think of diving, I revert back to watching soccer players. Alot of times they don't get touched and go down. That is a dive. I think if you get hit and go down suspectly then it is embellishment.

There were calls either way last night that were suspect. The perfect example was the penalty on Briere for hooking then the same thing happened to Novotny and hooking penalty was called. Both were weak calls in my mind but they were consistent for once.

I didn't get home from work un til the beginning of the third when I turned the game on. I almost spit out my dinner when the Boston announcers started yapping about the call against "St. Danny of Briere"!. At least it was an original comment. I can understand being upset after the mask incident BUT the NESN announcers are so biased they have no credibility at all. Look at Timmah's playand assist on the third goal. MAYBE undressing the B's on the ice is at least ONE reason we were 1-7 against them this year.

Briere isn't that big a diver i don't think... he's just small and fast... he's fiesty too and the only way to get the puck from him is to take a cheap penalty... he's staking how he should be.... quick and agile... the rules are built to follow his style of play... if the bruins don't like it... thats just too damn bad... they should have built there team to be quick... they did not... don't blame us for it...

The only finger the bruins should be pointing to themselfs. The should blame anyone but themselfs. The sabres wouldn't have to be "diving" if the bruins weren't hookin or holding all the time to compensate for their inablity to keep up w/ the Sabres. Boyton and Boyes...I'm sorry, but since Thorton left have these guys ever stopped crying about other teams??

Ne ways, have fun on the links boston. We'll b havin all the fun for ya in the play-offs!

As I said before, it's not how hard he got hit...it's where. If you push someone in the back of the knee, it knocks them off balance very easily.

Not seeing your point.

I played hockey through college and embellishing a penalty was an art I mastered. It doesn't take much to see that Briere is a big time diver. Roy was as well earlier this season and he toned it down recently. However, he's getting the reprecusions of what he did because when he does get tripped up now, the refs usually don't call a penalty because of his reputation. Danny is developing that reputation.

I'm not saying that every penalty Danny draws is because of him diving, he's fast and small and the only way to stop him is to take him down but 1/3 of the penalties he draws are because of the embellishments.

Not seeing your point.

I played hockey through college and embellishing a penalty was an art I mastered. It doesn't take much to see that Briere is a big time diver. Roy was as well earlier this season and he toned it down recently. However, he's getting the reprecusions of what he did because when he does get tripped up now, the refs usually don't call a penalty because of his reputation. Danny is developing that reputation.

I'm not saying that every penalty Danny draws is because of him diving, he's fast and small and the only way to stop him is to take him down but 1/3 of the penalties he draws are because of the embellishments.

If you push someone in the right spot on the back of the knee, their leg goes forward, throwing them off balance. Maybe he did embellish a little, but it's just one possible explanation.

If you push someone in the right spot on the back of the knee, their leg goes forward, throwing them off balance. Maybe he did embellish a little, but it's just one possible explanation.

I agree but with Briere I don't think that's the case. He's embellishing a lot.

Archived