Up to 5 AHL teams heading west

PromoTheRobot

Ugh.  I get the not wanting to play three game in three nights- no pro hockey team should do that.

But games played should remain equal.  Too many games for western teams?  Drop the games played for every team.  Is compensating for travel fair?  How does the league determine that exactly eight fewer games is a fair compensation for travel?  Do we now really have to compare every team and player stat as per game now?

I like that the A experiments with rules and technologies to make the game better, but I have a hard time believing that this makes the game better.

Why not just increase the number of games played between the California teams to make up for the decrease?  That would be 8 games divided up among 4 division rivals, so it's not difficult at all to work out logistically.  Would the travel within California still add too much for those teams?

While I agree having differing season lengths based upon the state your team is based in is moderately brain damaged; I also have a hard time getting worked up by it. Paraphrasing Allen Iverson: it's the AHL, we're talkin' 'bout; the AH friggin' L.

While I agree having differing season lengths based upon the state your team is based in is moderately brain damaged; I also have a hard time getting worked up by it. Paraphrasing Allen Iverson: it's the AHL, we're talkin' 'bout; the AH friggin' L.

In some towns, this is the best hockey they have.  Check your privilege. :D

I'm not really worked up about it, but like you said, it's dumb as hell.

In some towns, this is the best hockey they have.  Check your privilege. :D

I'm not really worked up about it, but like you said, it's dumb as hell.

:lol:

What privilege? I live near Ra-cha-cha and have seasons for the Sob-rays. AHL hockey was WAAAAY better than I got to see the past 2 years. :p

Could LA be concerned about their development players getting 8 less games than Buffalo's will?  Then again, I guess that having a playoff system already guarantees that certain players will get more games than others.

Could LA be concerned about their development players getting 8 less games than Buffalo's will?  Then again, I guess that having a playoff system already guarantees that certain players will get more games than others.

Somebody probably hired an analytics guy that showed the additional travel dictated by being in the PTZ and accompanying jet lag / fatigue translates into an equivalent of 8 AHL games. Why the Texas teams couldn't hire their own analytics guy who could demonstrate that their travel was equivalent to 4 AHL games will forever remain a mystery.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.