Girgensons v. (Grigorenko and Zadorov)

Cage

I know I've seen an explanation for this, but I'll ask anyhow.... why was Girgenson's able to turn pro and go straight to Rochester while Grigorenko and Zadorov can only play on the Sabres, who they may not be ready for, or with their Junior teams, who they've outgrown? Obviously the season in Rochester helped Girgenson's tremendously....

I know I've seen an explanation for this, but I'll ask anyhow.... why was Girgenson's able to turn pro and go straight to Rochester while Grigorenko and Zadorov can only play on the Sabres, who they may not be ready for, or with their Junior teams, who they've outgrown? Obviously the season in Rochester helped Girgenson's tremendously....

Short answer is that Girgensons did not play junior hockey in Canada, so the restriction doesn't apply to him.

Swamp's link, above, has some more detail.

Edited by Eleven

The NHL and the chl have an agreement, if the kid is not playing in the NHL, he must play in the chl. Once he loses junior eligibility he may be placed in the AHL.

A player may be placed in the AHL if he will turn 20 before December 31 that season. He need not lose junior eligibility first. Just wanted to clarify.

Edited by Eleven

A player may be placed in the AHL if he will turn 20 before December 31 that season. He need not lose junior eligibility first. Just wanted to clarify.

Right you are! Thanks for the clarification

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.