It's All about the Dale Hawerchuk

I am Defecting

I like the way that you have furthered the thread Weave and K-9. Obviously, I have never seen Perreault play live, and think that Hawerchuk was underrated.

I think I know what you are saying, though... What you are saying is that Perreault had that stand-on-your-feet-when-he-gets-the-puck Afinogenov Magic?! :ph34r: But with less speed? Just kidding. I respect your opinions on 11. I just think that a person from Winnepeg might consider 10 to be one better, and might actually be right.

For someone who was a threat to go all the way every time, why didn't Perreault score more goals than Hawerchuk? I'm sure that Perreault was a better skater than Hawerchuk, and had great linemates. Why didn't he score more goals or points than Hawerchuk in your opinion? How did the NHL change, and why, since I am too young to know?

Edited by Yuri Olesha

Hawerchuk in Buffalo rolled up points but you always wondered how.

He drew second line D coverage at even strength. He was a defensive liability and slow as syrup dried in the bottle.

He was however a powerplay genius and would QB the powerplay from the right point. You always held your breath when you thought that the puck might get past him, because he wasn't going to catch up in a rundown.

It would seem like he had the secondary assist on almost every goal, so he could have

A three point night and you could not notice him. Often he would be benched with a one or two goal lead in the third. He was strong in the corners if he got there in time, and just a bad backchecker.

You could not get him off the puck in traffic , just a bull with the puck on his stick.

Honestly it was hard to appreciate Dale in his Prime in Winnipeg because so few of the Winnipeg games would get televised.

Hawerchuk in Buffalo rolled up points but you always wondered how.

He drew second line D coverage at even strength. He was a defensive liability and slow as syrup dried in the bottle.

He was however a powerplay genius and would QB the powerplay from the right point. You always held your breath when you thought that the puck might get past him, because he wasn't going to catch up in a rundown.

It would seem like he had the secondary assist on almost every goal, so he could have

A three point night and you could not notice him. Often he would be benched with a one or two goal lead in the third. He was strong in the corners if he got there in time, and just a bad backchecker.

You could not get him off the puck in traffic , just a bull with the puck on his stick.

Honestly it was hard to appreciate Dale in his Prime in Winnipeg because so few of the Winnipeg games would get televised.

Nice description of Ducks.

While I believe there is legit debate about how to rank Sabres all time greats 1-3, IMHO, he is absolutely locked into 4th spot.

When it was rumored the Jets could be shopping him, I hoped beyond hope the Sabres would offer up Wimpley. Could hardly believe it when the trade actually went down. When the Sabres turned Stinky Pete into Patty, the Sabres had their best set of centers ever. Had Lafontaine not been injured in the Boston series, or had Muckler not been so stubborn to play an injured Fuhr over a healhy Hasek; they had a great chance to hoist the Chalice. Had both gone the Sabres way, it would have been theirs.

Aside to whoever it was that said Ducks was a better passer than Gilbert, sorry but you are wrong. Gilbert was the absolute best passer in the league in his era. He also was the Sabres best passer of all time.

Thanks for all the kind words. I really appreciate it and loved being a Sabre. Wish I coulda won a Cup for all you great Buffalo fans! Cheers.

Hey Dale,

I appreciate you coming to the Sabres. I think that the ingredients were there in 93. We were extremely close to beating the Habs, after Boston, and you were peaking. There's lots of woulda, should haves, but it would have been sweet to see Hasek in those playoffs. Also, it sucks that LaFontaine was injured, but I feel sucky talking about minor injuries in the midst of a discussion about the Stanley Cup Playoffs, if you know what I mean.

You've got nothing to be ashamed of from your time here. As I get older, I appreciate your slower style of play, haha. I also think that having the fastest man in the league on the team would have been tough to compare to. Like I pointed out, though, your production was second to none in the history of the Sabres, and it ain't your fault that you had to play with the second defensive pairing during your time here.

Totally proud to have had a first ballot Hall of Famer here at the Sabres, and I'd love to see your number up in the rafters some day. Cheers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.