Remember All Those One Goal Wins...

CallawaySabres

Just think about how many games theSabres could have lost if the goaltender did not come up with one extra BIG save. Now, the goaltending has slipped and Miller and Marty are not coming up with the skills to help dig this team out of the rut.

I have witnessed at LEAST one goal a game that should never have been let in and it is proving to be the difference against teams that the Sabres did not struggle with earlier in the year. As far as the slump goes, we lost to some pretty heavy octane offenses but these past couple losses are starting to make me worry just a little. Miller or Biron HAS GOT to step it up or there will be a very early exit from these playoffs.

I remember saying that in the beginning of the win streaks, the Sabres were winning games a different way every night. Now, they are figuring out different ways to lose a game each night. Blowouts, blowing leads, shootouts, come from behind and then losing in the end.....where does this end?

Time to right the ship boys - the time is now...

I have witnessed at LEAST one goal a game that should never have been let in and it is proving to be the difference against teams that the Sabres did not struggle with earlier in the year. As far as the slump goes, we lost to some pretty heavy octane offenses but these past couple losses are starting to make me worry just a little. Miller or Biron HAS GOT to step it up or there will be a very early exit from these playoffs.

I agree the goaltending hasn't been as good as it was but I don't think Miller is playing "bad". That was Jagr that got the game winner. He is the best (arguably, even though I can't stand him) player in the league. And what about the other 3-4 goals a night we're allowing on odd man rushes and blatant defensive breakdowns? All I'm saying is that this slump has been a team effort with breakdowns in all aspects of play, not just the goaltending.

I've said in another thread, we were due for a slump. We're going to be in the playoffs. They've played better the last couple games, so let's stick behind them as they work out the kinks.

It is ok to say that the goaltending has not been good. We have been giving up 4+ goals a game even throughout the win streak. The only thing that was saving us is that we were scoring 5+ goals a game. We have to account for all factors and a team that even gives up 3 goals a game is not going to win in the playoffs. Clearly we need to cut down the goals allowed. I agree that there has been one or two goals in a game that should not have been scored. Yes I know Jagr is one of the best but Miller was right there on that goal!

I am not so much blaming the slump on the goaltending - just stating that the difference between a lot of these wins and losses comes down to one big save (or goal as of recent)

you can compare this to the Washington Nationals last year. They were kicking ass in 1 run games... then suddenly they were losing 1 run games... scores of them. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

The maddening thing that I see is the inconsistency from all positions. The players can't seem to get together and play as a unit for anything close to 60 minutes. Now, maybe it's been that way for most of the season and it's only now being exposed as deadly because the goaltending hasn't been as sharp as it was. I odn't know.

But, I think that this, in the end, has got to be good for a couple of the guys in that room who are prone to taking a shift or a game off. This is still, ultimately, a young and unproven squad, and, I think that they might have spoiled us a bit earlier. There are obviously still some growing pains that have to be gone through.

Let's just hope they're over by the time the playoffs start.

Ta,

Archived