One question...

neverenough

I like Adam Burish or Tanner Glass. Glass was in Rochester when the Sabres had a mix affiliation with Florida and he was one of the leaders on that squad. He's been a pretty solid teammate since then too in the NHL.

I can already see the deluca complaints on that one.

At the end of the season Darcy mentioned that the team needs to get bigger. I don't really recall if he said they need to get tougher or nastier. So I don't know that Darcy intends to go out and get another fighter.

I don't care to see the team pick up a guy who's solely a pugilist but I would like to see the 4th line constructed to be absolutely miserable to play against. And I'd like to see our 3rd line center be more of a grittier player. To that end, this is who I'd like to see added to the bottom 6....

Steve Ott - TrueBluePhD and I have been shouting this one from the mountaintop for months now. A bit better offensively than Goose was. Better hitter too. Good PK guy. Willing and able to drop the gloves when needed. But skilled enough to be on a line that is responsible for keeping the other teams top lines in check. He's my ideal 3rd line center. He's under contract with Dallas so it'll take a trade to pry him loose. I say move Derek Roy and make it happen.

Zenon Konopka- OK, this guy is mostly a pugilist. Or so I thought. Yeah, he drops the gloves very readily but I saw a different Konopka in the playoffs. He was used regularly on Ottawa's #2 PK unit and did a very nice job. And he took an awful lot of late in game faceoffs in the playoffs and appeared to do a very respectable job there too. He showed me that he is more than a goon. And he plays center. He's an FA so he's only a signing away. Sign him for the 4th line and PK duties. What could be more miserable than a 4th line of McCormick-Konopka-Kaleta? Damn, that's a line that would have teams wishing they were playing another team.

Brandon Prust was high on my list of players to get but it seems he is expecting a salary that is a good bit more than I'm willing to pay for a 4th liner.

Vanek-Hodgson-Grigorenko

Foligno-Ennis-Stafford

Leino-Ott-Pominville

McCormick-Konopka-Kaleta

I could live with that to start the season. Good level of grit on the bottom 6 and if Foligno continues to develop I think he's enough grit for the 2nd line. If Grigs is a longshot to start on the big squad I'd like to see a Shane Doan/Ryan Malone type obtained for Vanek's line. My gut tells me that Grigs gets every chance to make the team though.

Archived