Best Wishes To Sulzer

I am Defecting

Prayers for the Sulzer family, but if it was a pre-mature situation even if her due date was the end of May (7-8 weeks early) the prognosis is still quite good for the baby. Of course as you mentioned there could be issues putting the mother at risk as well. A good friend of mine had a son born 10 weeks premature and he is a vibrant 2 year old today.

Yup... I've got two healthy 7 year olds who were born at 31 weeks.

However, the two months they were in the hospital were pretty stressful. There is not many things worse than having to bring a new mom home without her baby.

Is McNabb better than Sekera, really? I'm not being smarmy, I honestly don't know.

McNabb's ceiling is probably Robyn Regehr depending on how good his hockey intelligence and instincts develop. He also plays fearless (which can take him out of position from time to time, a la Regehr against Philly) whereas Sekera seems to tighten up in big moments. I'd guess McNabb would replace Weber next year and not Sekera.

Is McNabb better than Sekera, really? I'm not being smarmy, I honestly don't know.

I honestly don't know (it is why I would not get choked up). I do like McNabb's upside and his passion for the game. Not to sound like Don Cherry, but Sekara seems like a soft Europoean and I think opposing fowards need to fear going into a corner with a Buffalo defenseman. I had hoped Weber was going to be that aggressive defenseman, but there are just too many mistakes.

I also think fresh blood will be a good dynamic as I believe it pushes people to be better on a team. I guess this is why I would take McNabb and Sulzer over the incumbents.

I honestly don't know (it is why I would not get choked up). I do like McNabb's upside and his passion for the game. Not to sound like Don Cherry, but Sekara seems like a soft Europoean and I think opposing fowards need to fear going into a corner with a Buffalo defenseman. I had hoped Weber was going to be that aggressive defenseman, but there are just too many mistakes.

I also think fresh blood will be a good dynamic as I believe it pushes people to be better on a team. I guess this is why I would take McNabb and Sulzer over the incumbents.

I agree, I would sure like the Sekera from the last couple games to be the Sekera of the future. Couple BIG hits and challenging Jody Shelley to a fight? Yup. Add that to his skill set and Sekera is a definite keeper, IMO. But was it just for show? Was it too little, too late?

I agree, I would sure like the Sekera from the last couple games to be the Sekera of the future. Couple BIG hits and challenging Jody Shelley to a fight? Yup. Add that to his skill set and Sekera is a definite keeper, IMO. But was it just for show? Was it too little, too late?

Sekera was good all season. This is the first time I can remember where his being in the lineup wasn't a point of contention all season.

I saw too many games holding the stick too tight, and not nearlt as fluid with his passes or his skating as I had thought.

My overall thesis for the team is that they need an identity. This 4 interchangable lines and 3 non-descript defense pairings don't make for a solid team. Orgniazations do well when people know what role they have and how they will acheieve their mission. It's not enough to say we want to win a Stanley Cup - any jerk can mouth that platitude. The real thing is saying how we are going to win it, and then commiting their bodies to it.

Scorers can't score without space. Each line needs to have a guy who is especially tough for corner battles who will ensure that no liberties are ever taken (a Foligno, a Tropp, a Kaleta etc.). There is no fourth line, there are four lines with tough guys spread through out. There is a playmaker on e each and a sniper on each. But everyone needs to try to improve their other roles and rub off on each other. 3 guys need to play with each other regularly.

As for defense, puck movers are nice, but I prefer defenders who defend and punish. Show me a defender who can punish and do one quick pass out of the zone. Bobby Orr's are few and far between. I want the defenders to defend, and the forward to be forwards. Scrums and tough play in the net by three people is better than having a fourth player join the rush.

That's how I would like to see a team built. I think this is how they could win. Thi is why I filter out a Sekara, and add a McNabb.

I agree with d4rk, Sekera has been consistently good all season--- aside from the past two weeks where he's been pretty brutal. Extra minutes haven't really agreed with him.

I'm stuck, because I agree with both Lumpy and d4rk's posts.

I have to disagree with Lumpy on the "three nondescript defense pairings" part. I think we have three solid defensive pairs when healthy. Myers-Ehrhoff is darn good, Sekera-Regehr is good too. Any combo of Leopold-Sulzer-McNabb-Weber-Brennan isn't awful either.

We just can't lose two key D players at once. That is detrimental to any team.

I have to disagree with Lumpy on the "three nondescript defense pairings" part. I think we have three solid defensive pairs when healthy. Myers-Ehrhoff is darn good, Sekera-Regehr is good too. Any combo of Leopold-Sulzer-McNabb-Weber-Brennan isn't awful either.

We just can't lose two key D players at once. That is detrimental to any team.

I think no one fears going into a corner with a Sabres defensman. I don't think anyone has an electric shot. I don't think anyone moves the puck blazingly fast. I don't think passes move fast enough out of the zone. I don't see offensive creativity. I don't think anyone is awful, but I don't think there is anything completely special either. I guess that is why I chose the word "non-descript".

Anyway, I must run - good chatting here. I guess I am still ticked about not having this team go further. I think there is a lot of skil level here, but they must play with more passion to bring it out. They play better when the game is less structured. I think if they build around a more fearsome defense, rather than a jump in the rush strategy to help the forwards, there would be better results. But alas, this is my opinion and Pegula has not asked me to coach.

Archived