Rick Martin had degenerative brain disease

X. Benedict

Guest Sloth

Like the WHO said 'talking bout my generation."

I never considered Jordan better than Larry Bird or Magic Johnson. I considered Jordan a creation of the NIKE marketing department. He was great, don't get me wrong there, just not the best of all time IMO.

I won't argue w/ the generation bit. The game changes over time. Really the only question that can be asked is who deserves to be amongst the talk of who may be the greatest of all time. There will never be a winner of that discussion. My argument against Lebron James is he needed to sign w/ Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh to pull things off. Lebron couldn't bring things together on the court for Cleveland, so he opted for a "dream team" in Miami to get his NBA title. Jordan was a Bull. Bird was a Celtic. Magic was a Laker. They didn't switch to another team in agreement w/ other players to put together a sure thing.

I just wish I could have seen Rico play.

I can recall the first time (I think) he played in Buffalo. He was renowned for his shot and so everyone was revved up waiting to see it.

We were playing Pittsburgh. Rico comes in over the blue line and lets it go. Dennis Heron was the Penguin goalie. The shot hits his glove which flew some ten feet into the air! He stopped the shot, but everyone in the crowd was in awe.

I can recall the first time (I think) he played in Buffalo. He was renowned for his shot and so everyone was revved up waiting to see it.

We were playing Pittsburgh. Rico comes in over the blue line and lets it go. Dennis Heron was the Penguin goalie. The shot hits his glove which flew some ten feet into the air! He stopped the shot, but everyone in the crowd was in awe.

Good stuff. Thanks.

I saw Rico play later in his career, 78-79 time frame. It was my first NHL game and the Sabres were playing the North Stars. I can still see Rico flying down the wing into the zone and unleashing a blistering shot at Gilles Meloche, I just remember being impressed with how loud it was when it hit his pad.

I saw Rico play later in his career, 78-79 time frame. It was my first NHL game and the Sabres were playing the North Stars. I can still see Rico flying down the wing into the zone and unleashing a blistering shot at Gilles Meloche, I just remember being impressed with how loud it was when it hit his pad.

The Sabres haven't had a guy since Rico who could bring it like that. Van Boxmeer and Kotalik are the only ones I can think of who were in the ballpark, but Rico could blast it on the move, with accuracy, and he had much more game than either of those 2.

Archived