Hockey players who died during their career

Marvelo

I remember going to the Aud when I was 9 and seeing a player named Wayne Maki play for the Bisons. I was amazed when I saw him split a puck in two during practice. I couldn't understand back then, but this was shortly after he fractured Ted Green's skull in a fight. He played a couple years for the Canucks and then died of brain cancer in 74, while he was still a player. This is a fascinating list of players who died during their playing career, and the circumstances. For such a dangerous sport, hockey seems to have claimed only a dozen or so players while playing the game. Besides Tim Horton, I don't think any Sabres died while with the team. Many of them seem to go in car accidents. Hockey IS a dangerous game...take care out there those who still play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ice_hockey_players_who_died_during_their_playing_career

He would have been great.

My parents originally told me that he died in a helicopter crash. Guess they figured I wouldnt understand the concept of drinking and driving?

The next interesting thought, is that if he hadnt died, what would have became of Ron Hextall? Would anyone have even given him a chance in the NHL? His numbers were not exceptionally spectacular in the minors/ohl, but Keenan loved his attitude and gave him a shot.

My parents originally told me that he died in a helicopter crash. Guess they figured I wouldnt understand the concept of drinking and driving?

The next interesting thought, is that if he hadnt died, what would have became of Ron Hextall? Would anyone have even given him a chance in the NHL? His numbers were not exceptionally spectacular in the minors/ohl, but Keenan loved his attitude and gave him a shot.

Good question....I think generally, players find a way, regardless of who is in front of them.

In the eighties, Hextall would have had a shot somewhere.

Archived