Sharks Sabatoge Image?

Braedon

Perhaps I missed the discussion but from what I've read, it's been a trend in SJ for some of their up-and-comers to sign discount bridge contracts with the understanding that they'll hit payday with the last contract prior to UFA. However it appears they may have buried that trend with this trade, as I can't see players signing blindly after this. And to hear Seto gush about SJ, I can't help but feel for the guy:

Setoguchi Signing

I also find it amazing that Wilson could sign the contract, say the following, and send him packing the next day:

"We're very fortunate that our players know when you're building a team and we've treated our players pretty consistently over the years," general manager Doug Wilson said. "The guys who want to be here help us to the best of their abilities with contracts that are fair. This is certainly an example of that."

Burns is a nice addition to the blue line, but this is an odd situation.

Perhaps I missed the discussion but from what I've read, it's been a trend in SJ for some of their up-and-comers to sign discount bridge contracts with the understanding that they'll hit payday with the last contract prior to UFA. However it appears they may have buried that trend with this trade, as I can't see players signing blindly after this. And to hear Seto gush about SJ, I can't help but feel for the guy:

Setoguchi Signing

I also find it amazing that Wilson could sign the contract, say the following, and send him packing the next day:

"We're very fortunate that our players know when you're building a team and we've treated our players pretty consistently over the years," general manager Doug Wilson said. "The guys who want to be here help us to the best of their abilities with contracts that are fair. This is certainly an example of that."

Burns is a nice addition to the blue line, but this is an odd situation.

I would be PISSED if I was Setoguchi, but to Wilson's credit, he did say he had no intentions of trading Setoguchi until Minnesota approached him about a deal for Burns. Said he couldn't pass it up.

Sucks for Setoguchi but it is what it is...

I would be PISSED if I was Setoguchi, but to Wilson's credit, he did say he had no intentions of trading Setoguchi until Minnesota approached him about a deal for Burns. Said he couldn't pass it up.

Sucks for Setoguchi but it is what it is...

He'll be closer to home and in a real hockey city. (And I do realize that SJ has fans, but it isn't exactly Saint Paul.) He'll be fine.

Nah. San Jose is a great contender for a second-round spot, and that's about it. Minny will get better.

And that's all well and good, but do you think negotiations will change in SJ, at least from the players end? They've had a nice thing going with Clowe and Pavelski both signing contracts around $3.5, where they probably could have gotten at least $4-4.5. Hell, they outproduce Pommer, imagine what Darcy would have given them.

Nah. San Jose is a great contender for a second-round spot, and that's about it. Minny will get better.

They haven't made playoffs in three years, they have a lot of getting better to do if they are going to win a cup quicker than San Jose. But San Jose's window is probably closing quickly, maybe in 2-3 years Minnesota will be better.

And that's all well and good, but do you think negotiations will change in SJ, at least from the players end? They've had a nice thing going with Clowe and Pavelski both signing contracts around $3.5, where they probably could have gotten at least $4-4.5. Hell, they outproduce Pommer, imagine what Darcy would have given them.

If SJ starts trading a lot of the 'hometown discount' guys away, yeah, negotiations could change. If Seteguchi's situation remains an isolated incident and Wilson can credibly explain how / why it happened, it probably won't mess their model too much.

Archived