The Perfect Team in 12-steps!

GoSabes#11

Not in order of importance....

1) Face Off Guy (1) - a dependable guy who can win the draw nearly every time. If he also does something else well, great.

2) PK Forwards (2) - Two dependable two-way forwards who can play the PK well together. These two could be centered by the above player.

3) PP Forwards (3) - Three forwards who can play the PP well. If they can also play a regular line as one all the better.

4) Excellent Defenseman (4) - Worth spending the money on good solid defenders who play mistake free hockey.

5) Two-Way Defenseman (2) - Guys who can join the attack and/or play the PP point. They don't need to play together.

6) Grinder Forwards (3) - every line needs a guys who isn't afraid to get his nose dirty in the corners or down low.

7) Sniper Forwards (3) - Every line needs a sniper with speed. 30+ goal scorers who take opponents attention.

8) Play Makers (3) - The guys with vision who always make the good pass. Its nice if they can score too.

9) Top-Notch Goalie (1) - The guy who plays the most minutes should be the best player. Playing about 57 games in the regular season.

10) Hot young prospect (1) - You should be able to bring up a player each season who can make the team next season.

11) Veteran Backup Goalie (1) - Only needs to play about 25 games in the regular season. Should be a dependable, healthy, student of the game.

12) Winning Front Office - From Owner to Coaches, dedication to excellent needs to be the main focus.

I think the Sabres have several pieces of the plan already in place. The addition of TPeg so far has been a huge positive towards #12....

Not in order of importance....

1) Face Off Guy (1) - a dependable guy who can win the draw nearly every time. If he also does something else well, great.

2) PK Forwards (2) - Two dependable two-way forwards who can play the PK well together. These two could be centered by the above player.

3) PP Forwards (3) - Three forwards who can play the PP well. If they can also play a regular line as one all the better.

4) Excellent Defenseman (4) - Worth spending the money on good solid defenders who play mistake free hockey.

5) Two-Way Defenseman (2) - Guys who can join the attack and/or play the PP point. They don't need to play together.

6) Grinder Forwards (3) - every line needs a guys who isn't afraid to get his nose dirty in the corners or down low.

7) Sniper Forwards (3) - Every line needs a sniper with speed. 30+ goal scorers who take opponents attention.

8) Play Makers (3) - The guys with vision who always make the good pass. Its nice if they can score too.

9) Top-Notch Goalie (1) - The guy who plays the most minutes should be the best player. Playing about 57 games in the regular season.

10) Hot young prospect (1) - You should be able to bring up a player each season who can make the team next season.

11) Veteran Backup Goalie (1) - Only needs to play about 25 games in the regular season. Should be a dependable, healthy, student of the game.

12) Winning Front Office - From Owner to Coaches, dedication to excellent needs to be the main focus.

I think the Sabres have several pieces of the plan already in place. The addition of TPeg so far has been a huge positive towards #12....

and a partridge in a pair tree ;) .... sorry i just wanna sing the 12 days of Christmas to this, but yea thats the stuff we need, I like it, good first post. I think goose is your faceoff guy, we got the goalie, got hot prospects, got a good front office now with tpegs, defense and pp/pk stuff is iffy but progressing especially def... this put a lot in perspective... hmm we may be closer than some ppl think...

The problem is - and it may be temporary, but certainly will make it harder to fix overnight - is that they are missing some of the hardest ones. In particular, a top-line playmaker, maybe two (depending on how you feel about Roy), and top-pairing defensemen. The prospects for the latter may be there, but for the former, the pipeline is thin. That means getting them externally, which is where Darcy will have to show that he was held back all these years.

It is pretty obvious, everybody knowns. The real money will be in one or two defenders a tier one playmaker and a center. The rest of the pieces are here, in Maine or to be acquired at a reasonable price.(for the keepers on the roster, some roles will need to be redefined and a few positions changed) Really only three or four steps a serious run, not 12 imo.

1. One shutdown defensive pair ( if one of them has pp skill sets that would be nirvana).

2. One physical 80-100pt playmaker to play opposite Vanek or at center (Ignila/Richards type)

3. One physical tier one center .(who knows how to play the point on the pp and has a +60% faceoff edge))

4. Three or four 24-25 year old Griers'.

5. One more Kaleta

The Sabres may have 1/2 of the shutdown pair now(not Myers)and two guys that may become young Griers with experience.

Priority 1 would be the shutdown defensman and the playmaker for Vanek. Prioity 2 the center. Three big pieces .

How many teams in the NHL have all these parts? Pretty hard, if not impossible to do with a salary cap.

Actually most of the winners have most of the pieces... You don't a great line to win, you need consistent depth without dropoff from one line to the next... hence the reason that I was shooting for 2nd line players or marginal 1st line players.....

I actually feel we have about 7 of those items in place and possibly 2-3 more growing into the roles.

Actually most of the winners have most of the pieces... You don't a great line to win, you need consistent depth without dropoff from one line to the next... hence the reason that I was shooting for 2nd line players or marginal 1st line players.....

I actually feel we have about 7 of those items in place and possibly 2-3 more growing into the roles.

The Sabres could use more defensive forwards (Mike Peca type players).

Boyes has been a great addition, but think how much better this team would be with Derek Roy (hopefully, Roy comes back okay after tearing his quad tendon).

Archived