Chatter about new NHL TV deal prospects

eball

As much as I hate ESPN, I can't wait for hockey to return to my basic cable package. It is nearly impossible to find hockey highlights on sportscenter anymore.

Warning: Rant imminent: It's sad that the ESPN cartel has such a stranglehold on sports content. It has become such a celebrity-woshipping circle jerk that I can't even watch anymore. On Sunday, I tried to catch the highlights from the day's football and hockey games, but instead had to sit through about 30 minutes of Wade Phillips' post-game interview, explaining why his loathsome 1-7 team got blown out. Then Trent Dilfer and Linda Cohn spent the next 30 minutes dissecting the situation in graphic detail. Who is in charge of content over there?

I would also like to see hockey on Spike network. I'm not a huge MMA fan, but I think cross-promoting with UFC would be a good boost for the NHL.

Spike TV? No thanks.

They need to keep versus around. People say players don't give "hometown discounts" anymore but NHL needs to give versus the benefit of the doubt and throw them a bone. They took hockey when nobody wanted it and they kept on improving on everything they've ever shown. Graphics wise to announcers to additional games.

I would like ESPN to win the rights as well but in a NBA system, where ESPN can have a Thursday night and Versus keeps Monday and Tuesdays. Versus just announced they are making a new show "NHL Overtime" to debut next Monday. It will be a nightly 11pm hour show from Monday through Thursday, with different people then Hockey Central and more "hot stove and league talk" then just highlights.

In the perfect world, i'd like to see Versus have Monday and Tuesdays, ESPN to have Thursday and Sundays (after NFL season), NBC to have Winter classic and Saturday afternoon and NHL Network to have Wednesday and Saturday night (HNIC).

As long as that stoooopid red streak on the puck doesn't re-appear on Fox.

I bet hockey does much better on a bigger network this time around, mostly because of HD broadcasts.

I liked the streak! It helped me track the puck on shots from the point, especially.

Versus just announced they are making a new show "NHL Overtime" to debut next Monday. It will be a nightly 11pm hour show from Monday through Thursday, with different people then Hockey Central and more "hot stove and league talk" then just highlights.

If it's any of the goons from The Daily Line or Hockey Central, I won't watch.

If it's any of the goons from The Daily Line or Hockey Central, I won't watch.

They havn't announced yet, but they may give a role to some of the crew of the Daily line. And none of the regular people from Hockey Central will be on it either. Rumor has it, guys such as Darren McCarty, Aaron Ward and Ken Daneyko (guys who have been guests on Hockey Central) will be on the main crew, as well as versus.com experts like Brian Metzer, Adrian Dater and Chuck Gormley, guys who blog for versus but also work for their newspapers covering the NHL. Also, they will have a lot of guests, like Puck Daddy, Pierre LeBrun, Darren Dreger, Kevin Allen and Lyle Richardson (Spector). The host may be the girl from daily line or Liam... or both?

They want Hockey Central to focus on post-game coverage and also highlights around the league, but NHL overtime, they will still show highlights, but they want to focus on the major topics in the game, rumors, injuries, speculations, ect...

To hell with NHL renewing with Versus. I am a cheap bastage. Get the league on a network that a basic subscription carries. NHL and Fox are good by me.

That is all.

Fox is bidding for the games NBC has..... Saturday or Sunday afternoon and winter classic. If FOX wins it, it doesn't mean they will add more games then you have now. It's not a Fox vs. Versus debate.

Archived