Sabres vs Bills!

deluca67

Come on, the Bills are an atrocity. The Sabres won their freaking division last year. They're just slumping. Hard.

I'm not saying the Bills are going to win a Super Bowl this season. I am saying they seem to have the right mind set. They inactivated a first round pick for a game that he would have been playing in front of his friends and family. They are cutting dead weight and making tough decisions like cutting Edwards and trading Lynch. The Sabres can't even bring themselves to bench an aged defenseman with little if any hockey skills left.

The point of the thread is simple and people can ignore the point if they like. While the Bills are cleaning house and getting ready for the future the Sabres are standing still, if not going backwards, playing the same old political games with their roster instead of making the moves needed to go forward. The Bills still have a long road ahead of them. I believe they at least started the trip. The Sabres are sitting in driveway just doing nothing.

I'm not saying the Bills are going to win a Super Bowl this season. I am saying they seem to have the right mind set. They inactivated a first round pick for a game that he would have been playing in front of his friends and family. They are cutting dead weight and making tough decisions like cutting Edwards and trading Lynch. The Sabres can't even bring themselves to bench an aged defenseman with little if any hockey skills left.

The point of the thread is simple and people can ignore the point if they like. While the Bills are cleaning house and getting ready for the future the Sabres are standing still, if not going backwards, playing the same old political games with their roster instead of making the moves needed to go forward. The Bills still have a long road ahead of them. I believe they at least started the trip. The Sabres are sitting in driveway just doing nothing.

You may or may not be right about the Sabres (and for the record I don't think you are), but I think you are giving the Bills far too much credit. The new regime has continued its predecessor's trend of getting every big decision wrong.

The new regime has continued its predecessor's trend of getting every big decision wrong.

Just curious, what makes you say this? Seems a little premature to draw that conclusion. Other than cutting Edwards, trading lynch and the draft, I don't know what big decisions they have made, and they got at least 2 of those 3 correct in my book.

Just curious, what makes you say this? Seems a little premature to draw that conclusion. Other than cutting Edwards, trading lynch and the draft, I don't know what big decisions they have made, and they got at least 2 of those 3 correct in my book.

1. If Edwards wasn't even good enough to be on the team, he shouldn't have won the job in preseason. They might've even gotten something for him in trade in the preseason.

2. For a team with desperate needs at just about every position, drafting yet another RB in the 1st round was a terrible mistake. Lynch is a good RB who was under a cheap contract for another several years.

3. Why in the world did they give Kelsay another big contract? Has he ever done anything? Is he a starter for any good NFL defense?

4. Another decision was not bringing in any good FAs in the offseason despite numerous needs.

The only thing both teams have in common is they both currently suck. No matter how you slice it. The one thing the bills have going for them is they know when to cut ties with a management group that is going nowhere and aren't afraid to move in a new direction. The Sabres...?

I said this before and I believe it to be true. The Sabres are just as far from being a true Championship contender as the Bills are right now. The Bills maybe actually closer. The first step towards building a Champion is admitting a change is needed. The Bills were in a middle of yet another 7-9 season and decided it wasn't good enough. They made some drastic changes. The Sabres on the other hand are going to live and die with this same core of players for this season and seasons to come. The Sabres are unwilling to take strides forward. The Bills seemingly have a better understanding of the path ahead of them. The Bills are willing these days to openly admit their faults and are willing to do what they can to get it done. This isn't an endorsement for Nix/Gailey. I don't know if they can get it done. They do seem to know the path. Regier and Ruff are lost and refuse to admit their path is going nowhere.

After thinking about this for a couple of days the thing that keeps popping into my head is this-

Neo, sooner or later you're going to realize just as I did that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

The Sabres really need to take the red pill.

Seriously? The Bills haven't made the playoffs since 2000, haven't won a playoff game since 1994 (correct me if I am wrong), haven't gotten 16 good games from a Quarterback since Kelly, and haven't had a winning record in God Knows how long. I won't even admit that I'm a Bills Fan. The Sabres won their division last year, quit crying, its 10 games into the season.

1. If Edwards wasn't even good enough to be on the team, he shouldn't have won the job in preseason. They might've even gotten something for him in trade in the preseason.

2. For a team with desperate needs at just about every position, drafting yet another RB in the 1st round was a terrible mistake. Lynch is a good RB who was under a cheap contract for another several years.

3. Why in the world did they give Kelsay another big contract? Has he ever done anything? Is he a starter for any good NFL defense?

4. Another decision was not bringing in any good FAs in the offseason despite numerous needs.

I am not 100% sold on Nix/Gailey. Their timing on things is a bit curious. I still think 0-16 is a real possibility. I think they may end up drafting #1 overall two years in a row. Oddly enough that is instilling a little faith in the organization. When the Bills were going 7-9 and I was saying they would be better off going 2-14 Bills fans called me crazy. Now that appears to be the majority mind set.

Let me address your four points.

1) Edwards was under contract. He showed well in preseason so they gave him a shot. It didn't cost them anything to do so and when it was apparent he had not changed they cut him.

2) Spiller? They take Spiller because of the pure talent. They new that they weren't keeping Lynch all season. They now have a pound the ball RB in Jackson and there first home run threat in a while with Spiller. This is guy who if healthy can be here making a impact if/when this gets turned around.

3) The only thing I can say about Kelsy's contract is that it is not like a NHL contract. They can cut him at anytime and not be on the hook for the entire amount.

4) Free agents? Why spend 50-80 million in free agents this year? To go 7-9 or 8-8? Bottom out, hit on a couple of draft picks over a few years and then start adding through free agency.

Archived