Pirates cancel preseason game

wildcat48

Darcy is indeed listed as their GM on their official site ... but as usual, it's not his decision whether or not to spend money on more players. And if I was running the Pirates, I don't think i would spend the cash to sign players for one preseason game that is unlikley to draw more than a couple thousand fans. They would probably lose money on the game.

Wildcat will have to correct me if I'm wrong, but Regier's only control over that roster involves players on NHL contracts. Over the last two years, any time Portland was trying to find a couple ECHL guys, I remember those Maine Hockey Journal stories mentioning that Dineen was the guy looking over those players.

Darcy is listed as the GM, but in reality Portland doesn't have a GM. The closest thing would be Dineen.

The quick explanation on the relationship between Buffalo and Portland is this.... Buffalo controls all hockey operations stuff in Portland. All of it. Buffalo signs all players, and pays all players even ECHL players on AHL only contracts or PTO's. Yes, Portland could sign their own players, but I'll get to that in a second. The Pirates only fee to the Sabres is an affiliation fee, and the Pirates sole responsibility is to the business side of their organization.

Dineen finds players and will sign them, but Regier is giving approval first.

As for the preseason game... I mentioned this on a another site and felt it was apporipiate to said here too.

As I said earlier, while it's true that Portland could sign their own players, it's not as easy as lets sign a few beer leaguers and play a game. The affiliation agreement between the two clubs states that Portland is allowed to sign their own players, but must receive express written consent from Buffalo in order to do so. Consent could be Regier signature on a contract. Fair enough, it keeps the Pirates from signing a large number of players, forcing some prospects, who may or not get ice time. To that point and I can't confirm this part, but I believe there is a limit on the number of players that are allowed to be signed. I've never been able to confirm that, but have heard that being the case in conversations that I've had.

One more point.... Ownership here in Portland doesn't like to spend money. They don't spend their money on anything hockey operations. They want it that way. I've always said LQ and BP (Brian Petrovek) were brothers separated at birth because they are identical in their mannerisms, beliefs and overall actions.

Look.. This is a preseason game, not the last game of the Calder Cup finals. I understand both sides. Portland fans are not happy because they lost out on a chance to see their team, to cheer on their team, just as you want to cheer for your team. I understand that Buffalo is going to do what is in the best interest of Buffalo and they have that right. I don't think they are throwing the Pirates under the bus or this is a huge loss of revenue... It's a preseason game and people here are ready for hockey.

Once practice opens officially on Saturday I think the sting of losing a game will be lost and life will return to normal in the Northeast US of A.

Darcy is listed as the GM, but in reality Portland doesn't have a GM. The closest thing would be Dineen.

The quick explanation on the relationship between Buffalo and Portland is this.... Buffalo controls all hockey operations stuff in Portland. All of it. Buffalo signs all players, and pays all players even ECHL players on AHL only contracts or PTO's. Yes, Portland could sign their own players, but I'll get to that in a second. The Pirates only fee to the Sabres is an affiliation fee, and the Pirates sole responsibility is to the business side of their organization.

Dineen finds players and will sign them, but Regier is giving approval first.

As for the preseason game... I mentioned this on a another site and felt it was apporipiate to said here too.

As I said earlier, while it's true that Portland could sign their own players, it's not as easy as lets sign a few beer leaguers and play a game. The affiliation agreement between the two clubs states that Portland is allowed to sign their own players, but must receive express written consent from Buffalo in order to do so. Consent could be Regier signature on a contract. Fair enough, it keeps the Pirates from signing a large number of players, forcing some prospects, who may or not get ice time. To that point and I can't confirm this part, but I believe there is a limit on the number of players that are allowed to be signed. I've never been able to confirm that, but have heard that being the case in conversations that I've had.

One more point.... Ownership here in Portland doesn't like to spend money. They don't spend their money on anything hockey operations. They want it that way. I've always said LQ and BP (Brian Petrovek) were brothers separated at birth because they are identical in their mannerisms, beliefs and overall actions.

Look.. This is a preseason game, not the last game of the Calder Cup finals. I understand both sides. Portland fans are not happy because they lost out on a chance to see their team, to cheer on their team, just as you want to cheer for your team. I understand that Buffalo is going to do what is in the best interest of Buffalo and they have that right. I don't think they are throwing the Pirates under the bus or this is a huge loss of revenue... It's a preseason game and people here are ready for hockey.

Once practice opens officially on Saturday I think the sting of losing a game will be lost and life will return to normal in the Northeast US of A.

If you are another team in the AHL why would you bother putting Portland on the preseason schedule next season?

Hey Wildcat - how many people do you think would have bought tickets for the preseason game?

Does the arena staff still get paid? Are we to assume that everyone that was going to the game were going to eat at home before the game? Was the opposing team leaving right after the game or were they planning on staying the night in a hotel?

Does the arena staff still get paid? Are we to assume that everyone that was going to the game were going to eat at home before the game? Was the opposing team leaving right after the game or were they planning on staying the night in a hotel?

The game was against Manchester, which, according to a quick google search is only 73 miles away.

I see where you are going with this, but...it's a bit of a stretch, dontcha think? I am assuming the possibility of cancelled pre-season Pirates games exists, and everyone is aware of it. Heck...the arena employees probably welcomed a day off.

Last weekend we closed our business for two days because we took 45 of our best competitors to a competition in Pittsburgh. Our employees did not get paid, and the local grocery store and gas station did not get additional revenue that they usually enjoy when we are open. But all the competitors that DID NOT make the team, and our employees, watched the events unfold on a web-cast and spent those two days cheering on the team. And they probably got some yard work done too!

Is it really that big of a deal?

Hey Wildcat - how many people do you think would have bought tickets for the preseason game?

Portland Ice Arena holds almost 900 and I suspect they would have sold 750 or better...

To answer the other question: There is only a small concession stand at PIA. It's mostly volunteer anyway so, no they weren't getting paid.

Manchester wasn't staying in a hotel... They don't stay in a hotel during the regular season so why stay for the preseason.

Archived