Mike Modano signs with Red Wings

FogBat

This signing seemed like a foregone conclusion since we learned he wasn't returning to Dallas. And Modano, by all accounts, is a class act, he's from the area, and older gents seem to get new life over there. As the 3rd line center I guess they're saying he'll play with Hudler, so that could rejuvenate the old fella. Still, I'll have to defer to the Wings here, who seem to know what they're doing, because in watching Modano these past couple of years, while he can still skate, his game is far, far from what it was. No shame there, but he'll need to pick it up. And at 40 he's going to be more prone to injury, which really hurt the Wings last year. I'll be interested to see how he does. I hope he succeeds.

This signing seemed like a foregone conclusion since we learned he wasn't returning to Dallas. And Modano, by all accounts, is a class act, he's from the area, and older gents seem to get new life over there. As the 3rd line center I guess they're saying he'll play with Hudler, so that could rejuvenate the old fella. Still, I'll have to defer to the Wings here, who seem to know what they're doing, because in watching Modano these past couple of years, while he can still skate, his game is far, far from what it was. No shame there, but he'll need to pick it up. And at 40 he's going to be more prone to injury, which really hurt the Wings last year. I'll be interested to see how he does. I hope he succeeds.

I would agree, but a game on the decline, while still having the wheels to play, to me sounds more like a motivational issue more than anything else.

I'n guessing a guy like Modano who's been around, won a cup and played in another final, may have found it harder to motivate himself in recent years, seeing as the current Stars are far from past glory.

If he can stay healthy and motivate himself to play, I can easily seem him scoring 50-60 points in Detroit.

I would agree, but a game on the decline, while still having the wheels to play, to me sounds more like a motivational issue more than anything else.

As one of the great US players, I certainly hope he's able to recapture his old skills, but there was more than motivational issues going on in Dallas. Not that he can't reclaim some of his old firepower, but he was putrid at times. Geoff Sanderson putrid. He was still skating with the jersey fluttering, and he had his moments, but most of the time he was either invisible or just didn't have it. The phrase "washed up" came to mind several times, and unfortunately so. Again, I'll be rooting for 50-60 points, but as I said, he'll need to crank it up quite a bit for that to happen. The change of scenery, especially to Detroit, may very well do it.

As one of the great US players, I certainly hope he's able to recapture his old skills, but there was more than motivational issues going on in Dallas. Not that he can't reclaim some of his old firepower, but he was putrid at times. Geoff Sanderson putrid. He was still skating with the jersey fluttering, and he had his moments, but most of the time he was either invisible or just didn't have it. The phrase "washed up" came to mind several times, and unfortunately so. Again, I'll be rooting for 50-60 points, but as I said, he'll need to crank it up quite a bit for that to happen. The change of scenery, especially to Detroit, may very well do it.

Don't get me wrong, there are several kinds of motivational issues to consider.

It might not be Tim Connolly motivational issues we're talking about, i.e. not giving a crap if he wins or loses, but rather Modano himself doubting if he can play the game anymore, keep up with kids half his age, stay healthy ect. etc.

I'n guessing a guy like Modano who's been around, won a cup and played in another final, may have found it harder to motivate himself in recent years, seeing as the current Stars are far from past glory.

If he can stay healthy and motivate himself to play, I can easily seem him scoring 50-60 points in Detroit.

STFU!!!

Mike Modano should enjoy at least one more season before getting to retire, I hope he can wow the crowd and himself at least one last time.

As for the cup, only Brett Hull should be despised, remember all the times, since he became an announcer, that he has made fun of Buffalo and its fans.

Mike Modano should enjoy at least one more season before getting to retire, I hope he can wow the crowd and himself at least one last time.

As for the cup, only Brett Hull should be despised, remember all the times, since he became an announcer, that he has made fun of Buffalo and its fans.

Hull is douche, always was always will be.

It amused me to see him fail so miserably coming out of the lockout.

He HAS to take shots at Buffalo, it's the only way he can convince himself he scored a legit goal.

Hull is douche, always was always will be.

It amused me to see him fail so miserably coming out of the lockout.

He HAS to take shots at Buffalo, it's the only way he can convince himself he scored a legit goal.

I love how Don Cherry owns Brett Hull on this, and Hull knew it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3FwRoBoYuM

I love how Don Cherry owns Brett Hull on this, and Hull knew it:

Good stuff indeed, and seriously - That goal must be eating away at him like nothing Buffalo fans can ever grasp.

I mean, sure yeah he was given a ring, but seriously - 11 years later and he still has to defend than goal.

I don't think he even remembers that ring anymore, that arrogant ass is fuming that some people to this day deny him the credit that comes with scoring a Stanley Cup winning goal.

That said : Brian Holzinger, you're an idiot. First you let this douche walk his way to the crease all alone, and then you try lifting his stick when what you should have done was crosscheck his arrogant ass into the end boards.

Right, back in 2010.

Nice work Mr. Cherry, even more impressed with Cherry on this one because Hull was kissing his ass during the entire intermission...... :beer:

That was the beauty of the whole thing. Hull really set himself up for failure when he started yapping about that puck being kicked in, and Grapes called him on it. :clapping:

Clement called him on it once. I remember that. Clement handled it a little more discretely but he knew what was up.

Do you have a clip on that?

Also, I've noticed that both Clement and Grapes speak their minds. It's just that Clement is a bit more muted and tends to mince his words. We know that Grapes is quite the opposite. Love him or hate him, he does have an uncanny knack for saying what needs to be said at the right time.

Archived