[OT] I need your help.

deluca67

I love a&w's chili dogs, but unfortunately there aren't any up north.

Here's the recipe for it......

A&W Coney Island Chili Dog Sauce

Copycat Recipe

1 pound ground chuck

1 - 6 ounce can tomato paste

1 Cup water

1/2 Tablespoon sugar

1 Tablespoon prepared yellow mustard

1 Tablespoon dried, minced onion

2 teaspoons chili powder

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoon celery seed

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (heaping)

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

In a 2 qt. saucepan, brown the ground chuck, breaking into very small pieces. Salt and pepper lightly while cooking. Do not drain the fat. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, 30-45 minutes until it thickens. Stir occasionally. Allow to cool, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use

Wish I could help, DeLuca, but if I'm going to eat anything resembling a chili dog, it's going to be what we call up north a texas-style sauce, and ironically, what they call down south, a coney-style sauce, and it is not tomato-based.

I've got recipe for chipotle chili cheese dogs, but I feel compelled to included the nutritional information.

2 strips bacon, diced

1 small onion, finely chopped

2 teaspoons chili powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

3 tablespoons ketchup

1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed

1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes

3 tablespoons chipotle hot sauce, plus more for serving (optional)

4 foot-long hot dogs

4 soft hoagie rolls, split open

4 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)

Sliced scallions and/or sour cream for topping (optional)

Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until slightly crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onion, chili powder and cumin and cook until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in the ketchup and cook until it is slightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the beans, tomatoes, hot sauce and 1 cup water, cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat a grill to medium and brush with vegetable oil. Grill the hot dogs until marked, turning, about 10 minutes. Toast the rolls on the grill, if desired.

Sprinkle the inside of each roll with cheese, then add a hot dog, some of the bean mixture and more cheese. Top with scallions, sour cream and/or hot sauce, if desired.

Per serving: Calories 1,079; Fat 57 g (Saturated 21 g); Cholesterol 113 mg; Sodium 2,678 mg; Carbohydrate 97 g; Fiber 11 g; Protein 41 g :o

Hope the customers counted their change -- carefully.

:lol:

That was probably before the days when they started cooking their books.

BTW, I saw your nutritional data. Sounds like a fast track to a heart attack or stroke.

:lol:

That was probably before the days when they started cooking their books.

BTW, I saw your nutritional data. Sounds like a fast track to a heart attack or stroke.

Oh,yeah. I have to run a mile just from reading the recipe. Fortunately, I don't get a craving for chili dogs very often.

Archived