Lasting image from Sabres in playoffs

gilbert11

also 0 for the PP.. No a singular moment, but a game-in, game-out reminder..

You meant to say the constant pain of knowing that other teams score PP goals, which is acctually allowed in hockey, but after watching the sabres we forget about that?

Ennis made the ill-advised pass there. Probably had little to do with effort there -- conditioning and end of shift played into it.

Ill-advised?

That was a perfect opportunity to drop the puck to a wide open 3rd man high trailing in the slot without a defender in sight.

Maybe 19 was too tired?

Maybe he didn't think another member of this limited skill forward group could actually make that pass?

Or, maybe he's a gun shy has-been that just can't force his multi concussed mush mellon to engage.

That was my series moment.

Game 3 while McCormick was being called for goaltender interference, Chara was busy interfering Ennis with a high hit after he had long gotten rid of the puck. Not only was the McCormick call complete BS, the lack of a call on Chara was just as bad. Nothing was ever said about that hit by Chara. Of course it was only game 3 and the Sabres had plenty of time to make up for the poor officiating, the ensuing PP goal by Boston because of this started the downward spiral.

No. It is probably more of a case where being out of shape doesn't get you penalized if you are in the preferred treatment club. <_<

I always got the distinct impression Vanek was nowhere near that club?

Connolly, Stafford, Roy, Pominville, Hecht and Gaustad on the other hand...

Satan beating Miller in double OT..

That was the series killer

also 0 for the PP.. No a singular moment, but a game-in, game-out reminder..

No. The series killer was when we had our golden PP opportunity earlier in OT and failed. After that point, it didn't matter how long the game went or who scored, I knew, you knew, and we all knew how that one was ending.

Sorta like the Umburger hit. If you remember that game, Philly was playing the Sabres hard and it could have gone either way. Then Umberger happened and everyone involved with that game knew how it would end. It took another w hole OT to do it, but we got the outcome we all knew was coming.

As for my defining moment, it has to be the blown lead of Game 2. The Sabres were basically slaughtering the Bruins. That game could have been a runaway had the Sabres just held on while the Bruins had their token few minutes of high pressure hockey. Blowing a 2 goal lead in the playoffs is inexcusable. Remember, The Sabres were up 1-0 in games at that point. Had it been pushed to 2-0, there's little chance the Bruins could have overcome. ######, if you simply look at the box scores now for the first 3 losses, if we just held onto a lead, we would have swept them. It all started to fall apart in game 2 though, which makes it my defining moment.

Ennis made the ill-advised pass there. Probably had little to do with effort there -- conditioning and end of shift played into it.

Ill-advised?

That was a perfect opportunity to drop the puck to a wide open 3rd man high trailing in the slot without a defender in sight.

Maybe 19 was too tired?

Maybe he didn't think another member of this limited skill forward group could actually make that pass?

Or, maybe he's a gun shy has-been that just can't force his multi concussed mush mellon to engage.

That was my series moment.

I'll accept that. I think I might have even defended Ennis before criticizing him -- hey, I could be a politician!

It wasn't really a drop pass though. It was a pretty hard pass and it just missed the tip of Connolly's stick. It's hard to say whether Ennis put the pass in the right spot but Connolly wasn't skating hard enough -- or even if Ennis should have made the pass in that situation.

A really interesting play.

I wrote this after Game 3. Link: http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/17142-mccormick-recalled/page__p__204515__fromsearch__1#entry204515

So far 3 plays have defined this series. 1.) Vanek getting WHACKED on the knee. 2.) Ellis getting SMACKED almost unconscious and 3.) Kennedy getting beaten off the puck for the game tying goal Monday night.

That's when Darcy called up McCormick and finally realized we were a team not built for the playoffs! Looking back at the series, I still say these are the LASTING images....if you really think about. I love McCormick though, it was sooo sad to see are team get BEAT UP in the first 3 games with not much reaction at all from their teammates at the time. :wallbash:

Archived