What do we think of Zack Kassian?

Cage

He has been compared to Boston's Lucic by many. It seems as if Lucic has lost a little since his first year, but if he can come close to a Lucic type, then he will be well worth the pick.

Edit: After watching those videos, this is exactly what the Sabres need. How strong is this kid, he absolutely rag dolled King. As for the hit on Kennedy, I would like to hear his response to as why he left his feet. Kennedy deserved to get freight trained cruising through center ice looking into the rafters for a puck in the air. That was purely STOOPID. I think Kassian could have buried him just as bad without leaving his feet.

He has been compared to Boston's Lucic by many. It seems as if Lucic has lost a little since his first year, but if he can come close to a Lucic type, then he will be well worth the pick.

Edit: After watching those videos, this is exactly what the Sabres need. How strong is this kid, he absolutely rag dolled King. As for the hit on Kennedy, I would like to hear his response to as why he left his feet. Kennedy deserved to get freight trained cruising through center ice looking into the rafters for a puck in the air. That was purely STOOPID. I think Kassian could have buried him just as bad without leaving his feet.

What's he supposed to do, randomly look forward and hope the puck happens to drop into his line of sight?

What's he supposed to do, randomly look forward and hope the puck happens to drop into his line of sight?

No, but flying through the neutral zone with your head looking straight up isn't a very bright idea. He could of stopped skating and waited until the puck came down to see where the play was going. If you notice, none of the other players were looking up. Always know what's in front of you, not what's above you whether it's the puck or not. If the puck flies up in the air, I'm looking around me before I look straight up to the sky.

No, but flying through the neutral zone with your head looking straight up isn't a very bright idea. He could of stopped skating and waited until the puck came down to see where the play was going. If you notice, none of the other players were looking up. Always know what's in front of you, not what's above you whether it's the puck or not. If the puck flies up in the air, I'm looking around me before I look straight up to the sky.

Just out of curiosity, what did you think of that whole "Drury needs to stop admiring his pass" defense that many took to the Chris Neal hit?

Just out of curiosity, what did you think of that whole "Drury needs to stop admiring his pass" defense that many took to the Chris Neal hit?

Yeah, there's pretty much no defense to what Kassian did in January. I revived the thread because he's been doing well in the playoffs and because I hope that the suspension taught him something. But anyone who argues that Kassian's hit was what the press lately are calling a "good hockey hit," is nuts.

Next time, I'll be smart enough to start a new thread.

That was what Ottawa fans were saying about Drury. I didn't seem to think Drury was admiring his pass, he was more or less following the play. Neil's hit was late and from Drury's blind side. He was paying attention to the play, not to a player coming at him from more or less behind him. Kassian hit a guy who lost the puck and was looking to the sky while skating through the neutral zone. Like I already said, I don't agree with him leaving his feet. There was no need for him to leap at Kennedy. He could have blown him up by just skating into him.

Yeah, there's pretty much no defense to what Kassian did in January. I revived the thread because he's been doing well in the playoffs and because I hope that the suspension taught him something. But anyone who argues that Kassian's hit was what the press lately are calling a "good hockey hit," is nuts.

Next time, I'll be smart enough to start a new thread.

I never said it was a clean hit. If he never left his skates, then it's a clean hit unless he throws an elbow up to Kennedy's head. Kassian had absolutely NO reason to leave his skates. This is the kind of player that would destroy a guy like Neil for a cheap shot to one of his teammates. You never see Milan Lucic taking any cheap shots at players, he takes them on like a player at this level should. Mano y Mano. He plays the game just as clean as he does hard. I'm hoping that's what Kassian learns to do. I would also be willing to bet that a majority of NHLers have been penalized coming up through the ranks for illegal hits, slashing, spearing, butt ending, boarding, hitting from behind. It's only the tough guys that seem to get singled out for being dirty.

That was what Ottawa fans were saying about Drury. I didn't seem to think Drury was admiring his pass, he was more or less following the play. Neil's hit was late and from Drury's blind side. He was paying attention to the play, not to a player coming at him from more or less behind him. Kassian hit a guy who lost the puck and was looking to the sky while skating through the neutral zone. Like I already said, I don't agree with him leaving his feet. There was no need for him to leap at Kennedy. He could have blown him up by just skating into him.

I never said it was a clean hit. If he never left his skates, then it's a clean hit unless he throws an elbow up to Kennedy's head. Kassian had absolutely NO reason to leave his skates. This is the kind of player that would destroy a guy like Neil for a cheap shot to one of his teammates. You never see Milan Lucic taking any cheap shots at players, he takes them on like a player at this level should. Mano y Mano. He plays the game just as clean as he does hard. I'm hoping that's what Kassian learns to do. I would also be willing to bet that a majority of NHLers have been penalized coming up through the ranks for illegal hits, slashing, spearing, butt ending, boarding, hitting from behind. It's only the tough guys that seem to get singled out for being dirty.

1) Neil's hit was as dirty as they come.

2) Ok. We are on the same page.

I ask because watching the puck while trying to make a play on it in my mind constitutes "watching the play". I'm not so sure why it matters whether the puck is being passed up from behind him or it's ten feet above his head, either way, he's watching the puck and that's what you're supposed to do. The only time you're not supposed to be doing that is when it is on your stick already. Maybe he's putting himself at risk, but at the same time, fans and coaches probably crucify the guy if he's looking the other way to duck hits instead.

You never see Milan Lucic taking any cheap shots at players, he takes them on like a player at this level should. Mano y Mano. He plays the game just as clean as he does hard.

Lucic jumps into his hits all the time. You should see the highlight video Boston runs at games. The vast majority of his hits, he's off the ice right before the point of impact. If we want to talk about players who always plays clean, he is not the example.

I ask because watching the puck while trying to make a play on it in my mind constitutes "watching the play". I'm not so sure why it matters whether the puck is being passed up from behind him or it's ten feet above his head, either way, he's watching the puck and that's what you're supposed to do. The only time you're not supposed to be doing that is when it is on your stick already. Maybe he's putting himself at risk, but at the same time, fans and coaches probably crucify the guy if he's looking the other way to duck hits instead.

Lucic jumps into his hits all the time. You should see the highlight video Boston runs at games. The vast majority of his hits, he's off the ice right before the point of impact. If we want to talk about players who always plays clean, he is not the example.

Well then to nitpick, if you really pay attention to all the hitting going on, you could say that just about 99% or more of the guys doing the hitting actually do come off their feet right before impact. I assume it is for their own safety so they don't break an ankle. It may only be an inch or two, but most players do leave their feet. I don't get to see Lucic play a whole lot, but I have never seen him take a cheap shot at anyone, unless you consider his hammering lefts cheap shots. He is as tough as they come.

As for Kennedy, I just think he was in the wrong place on the ice to be looking straight up. I mean he wasn't peeking up, his face was practically horizontal to the roof. I guess it was more of a reaction on his part, he really couldn't think about it. I wouldn't care where the puck might be, but if I'm cruising through center ice, my head is on a swivel.

Well then to nitpick, if you really pay attention to all the hitting going on, you could say that just about 99% or more of the guys doing the hitting actually do come off their feet right before impact. I assume it is for their own safety so they don't break an ankle. It may only be an inch or two, but most players do leave their feet. I don't get to see Lucic play a whole lot, but I have never seen him take a cheap shot at anyone, unless you consider his hammering lefts cheap shots. He is as tough as they come.

It's a timing issue, but on a regular hit, they typically leave the ground after the hit. Simple physics, the momentum has to go somewhere. Anyway, I guess I should have worded my comment on Lucic as he "jumps into hits all the time". I think it is very clear that with many of his hits, he intends to take the guy out of the game and/or injure them (upward direction, almost always directed at the head). To me, that's the definition of dirty.

As for Kennedy, I just think he was in the wrong place on the ice to be looking straight up. I mean he wasn't peeking up, his face was practically horizontal to the roof. I guess it was more of a reaction on his part, he really couldn't think about it. I wouldn't care where the puck might be, but if I'm cruising through center ice, my head is on a swivel.

For the most part, we're fine on that hit. Kennedy clearly played some role in it, but any and all blame falls squarely on one place, Zack Kassian. Whether or not Kennedy put himself at risk, Kassian did not have to do what he did. You have essentially said as much.

It's a timing issue, but on a regular hit, they typically leave the ground after the hit. Simple physics, the momentum has to go somewhere. Anyway, I guess I should have worded my comment on Lucic as he "jumps into hits all the time". I think it is very clear that with many of his hits, he intends to take the guy out of the game and/or injure them (upward direction, almost always directed at the head). To me, that's the definition of dirty.

For the most part, we're fine on that hit. Kennedy clearly played some role in it, but any and all blame falls squarely on one place, Zack Kassian. Whether or not Kennedy put himself at risk, Kassian did not have to do what he did. You have essentially said as much.

That's cool. I am going to have to pay better attention to Lucic when he hits guys. I never really noticed, but I am sure you are right. Thank God for youtube, I can probably find plenty of his hits there.

Archived