Pissing away points at home...

LabattBlue

A big reason why the Sabres missed the playoffs the previous two years was because of a very mediocre home record. Right now they have a very comfortable 11 point lead over the 9th place team in the conference, but then again, they had a very comfortable double digit lead over Ottawa 2-3 weeks ago that has all but disappeared.

Look at the last 3 home games...

Ottawa...Battle back from a 2-0 deficit to tie the game in the 3rd period, only to lose on a terrible play in the last minute of the game

Carolina...Take the lead in the 3rd period only to lose 4-3

Boston...Battle back from a 2-0 deficit to tie the game late in the 2nd period, but lose in the shootout

What should have been an easy 6 points(based on where each game was at in the 3rd period), turned into 1 point.

Not good enough.

A big reason why the Sabres missed the playoffs the previous two years was because of a very mediocre home record. Right now they have a very comfortable 11 point lead over the 9th place team in the conference, but then again, they had a very comfortable double digit lead over Ottawa 2-3 weeks ago that has all but disappeared.

Ottawa...Battle back from a 2-0 deficit to tie the game in the 3rd period, only to lose on a terrible play in the last minute of the game

Boston...Battle back from a 2-0 deficit to tie the game late in the 2nd period, but lose in the shootout

What should have been an easy 6 points(based on where each game was at in the 3rd period), turned into 1 point.

Not good enough.

Agreed we are also losing too many shootouts and letting points just escape us. Plus we lose to Boston who has been playing terrible, Carolina that has out right SUCKED this year. I am not confident anyone on this team is reliable in shootout thats was was bright point with Kotalik.

Not good enough.

That was truly insightful. I guess that's why everyone knows they are in a slump.

Not good enough.

Not to pick nits Blue because I agree with your point, but in response to the bolded part above:

Losing a double-digit lead to one team is much easier to do then to lose their 11 point lead over the 9th place team. One team can get hot and play near-perfect hockey for a stretch and overtake you. To lose the lead over the 9th place team, they'd have to get leapt by 6 teams.

They'll make the playoffs. Whether it'll be one-and-done is another question.

Not to pick nits Blue because I agree with your point, but in response to the bolded part above:

Losing a double-digit lead to one team is much easier to do then to lose their 11 point lead over the 9th place team. One team can get hot and play near-perfect hockey for a stretch and overtake you. To lose the lead over the 9th place team, they'd have to get leapt by 6 teams.

They'll make the playoffs. Whether it'll be one-and-done is another question.

You are right in that it would be a long shot for the Sabres to miss the playoffs, but if they don't get their act together after the Olympic break, they could easily drop down to 6th or 7th place and a matchup with Pittsburgh, Washington or NJ in the first round.

You are right in that it would be a long shot for the Sabres to miss the playoffs, but if they don't get their act together after the Olympic break, they could easily drop down to 6th or 7th place and a matchup with Pittsburgh, Washington or NJ in the first round.

The could go 5-18-1 iin their final 24 games and realistically make the playoffs, not that I want that. I would actually prefer Pens in the first round. Knock out the Pens before they get hot, then Philly in round two after they beat the NJD.

The could go 5-18-1 iin their final 24 games and realistically make the playoffs, not that I want that. I would actually prefer Pens in the first round. Knock out the Pens before they get hot, then Philly in round two after they beat the NJD.

Not that I expect the Sabres to end the season with a record like you stated, BUT IF THEY DID, they would probably miss the playoffs. The last time a team made the playoffs with 83 points was 7 seasons ago. ;)

Archived