Five new faces in a slump?

PASabreFan

I came to believe as the season wore on that four new faces were playing a bigger part in the Sabres' success than some of the Old Core.

Think about what Myers, Grier, Kennedy and Montador meant to this team. Just to be a jackass, I'll throw an Elite Miller into the mix and call them the five new faces of the team.

Kennedy was probably the first to fall off the wagon. Montador was next. Miller's game has been slipping a bit for awhile, but it's only in recent games that things haven't gotten worrisome.

What really concerns me are signs that Grier and Myers are next. The penalty by Grier early against the Canes was one of the dumbest of the season. Myers is still OK, but he's had a couple of rough games.

How would you all break down the play of these five? (And of The Core. It's interesting that the slump has coincided roughly with some of the frat boys coming around.)

I came to believe as the season wore on that four new faces were playing a bigger part in the Sabres' success than some of the Old Core.

Think about what Myers, Grier, Kennedy and Montador meant to this team. Just to be a jackass, I'll throw an Elite Miller into the mix and call them the five new faces of the team.

Kennedy was probably the first to fall off the wagon. Montador was next. Miller's game has been slipping a bit for awhile, but it's only in recent games that things haven't gotten worrisome.

What really concerns me are signs that Grier and Myers are next. The penalty by Grier early against the Canes was one of the dumbest of the season. Myers is still OK, but he's had a couple of rough games.

How would you all break down the play of these five? (And of The Core. It's interesting that the slump has coincided roughly with some of the frat boys coming around.)

It's interesting you bring this up. I was thinking a lot of this same thing last night as I allowed my mind to wander during the Hurricanes game to prevent me from destroying my house. I don't know if I have an analysis, but just a thought. If there is any rhyme or reason to this, it would seem that the Sabres are only capable of being a good team when defense and goaltending are as good as they can be. The players you mention are guys who focus on those things. Seems the Sabres offense can be at top form or bottom form and it doesn't matter - they only win with D and G.

Myers--ridiculously undisciplined penalties last night and the timing of them was brutal. Still a top two for Rookie of the year.

Grier--usually the smartest guy on the ice. Will be fine for playoffs (should they make them)

Kennedy = a slow Mike Ryan.

Montador--still better than I thought he'd be.

Miller--my concern was that he'd come back from the Olympics out of gas. Lindy beat the Olympics to the punch.

I blame the following more than your slump theory:

Kaleta's inability to stay healthy.

Second line's inconsistency.

Gaustad has been invisible for long stretches.

I think Miller needs to get more rest in March before the playoffs. Ruff has tried to have his cake and eat it too. He wanted Miller to play as much as possible to maximize his chances of winning this month while at the same time making sure he's not too rested going into the Olympics to help Canada - so far the first part has backfired. After tonight's game when Lalime plays, I think Ruff needs to use Patrick in the following games: any time there's 3 games in 4 nights, and he needs to put Lalime in the second game - not the 3rd game when the guys will be the most tired. That should start with the first game out of the break in Pittsburgh. In all likelihood, he is going to be playing on Sunday Feb 28th in Vancouver so that trip plus the time difference puts Lalime in and then get Miller back for Wednesday at home to Washington. Lalime should also play: Fri March 12 against Minnesota, in Florida on the 20th, against Tampa on the 27th, and again against Florida on the 31st. The final weekend has a 3 game in 4 nighter as well, but what to do will depend on where they are. I think Ottawa will win the division which will mean we will most likely be 5th in the conference. We will need a rested Miller to do any damage against either NJ or Pittsburgh in the first round.

Myers--ridiculously undisciplined penalties last night and the timing of them was brutal. Still a top two for Rookie of the year.

Grier--usually the smartest guy on the ice. Will be fine for playoffs (should they make them)

Kennedy = a slow Mike Ryan.

Montador--still better than I thought he'd be.

Miller--my concern was that he'd come back from the Olympics out of gas. Lindy beat the Olympics to the punch.

I blame the following more than your slump theory:

Kaleta's inability to stay healthy.

Second line's inconsistency.

Gaustad has been invisible for long stretches.

I blame goaltending, we have given up 13 goals in the last three games and its not like the Sabres haven't been scoring. Offensively the Sabres don't have the firepower to overcome a 4 goal deficit.

Its time for some Lalime in net...

It's interesting you bring this up. I was thinking a lot of this same thing last night as I allowed my mind to wander during the Hurricanes game to prevent me from destroying my house. I don't know if I have an analysis, but just a thought. If there is any rhyme or reason to this, it would seem that the Sabres are only capable of being a good team when defense and goaltending are as good as they can be. The players you mention are guys who focus on those things. Seems the Sabres offense can be at top form or bottom form and it doesn't matter - they only win with D and G.

Also very interesting!

Archived