[OT] Pin Out

wjag

So, my son pulled the cable out of the auxilliary video input jacks on my Sony. The yellow video jack tip broke off and stayed in the jack itself.

Anyone had this happen? And if so, any bright ideas out here on how to extract the pin? We can still use the jack by making metal on metal contact with a new cable, but it falls out occassionally.

Looking for some brilliant ideas or success stories short of pulling it off the wall and taking to a technician.

So, my son pulled the cable out of the auxilliary video input jacks on my Sony. The yellow video jack tip broke off and stayed in the jack itself.

Anyone had this happen? And if so, any bright ideas out here on how to extract the pin? We can still use the jack by making metal on metal contact with a new cable, but it falls out occassionally.

Looking for some brilliant ideas or success stories short of pulling it off the wall and taking to a technician.

Just found this online:

I recieved a free, working TV the other day. The only problem with it was the pin from an RCA video cable had broken off inside the socket. I didn't want to spend money on an RF modulator for my DVD Player, so I figured out a pretty solid way of getting the pin out. 1.) Find a needle 2.) On a hard surface, bend the very tip of the needle slightly so that it forms a tiny barb. 3.) heat the tip of the needle with a lighter until it glows red hot. 4.) stick the needle into the plastic core of the broken RCA pin 5.) wait a few seconds for it to cool 6.) pull the needle out, and the broken tip should follow!

Folks who did claim success..

I've done lots of things in my life, but a heated paperclip surpasses even my boundaries. That giant metal Q-tip at the clinic had a lasting impression.

The pin out for an RCA jack is:

- center: signal

- ring: ground

Hope that helps. :) :)

Archived