Make A Statement Tomorrow Night

CallawaySabres

Your response is the very definition of that adjective.

The key question, really, is why a team with Craig Rivet, Adam Mair, Paul Gaustad, Patrick Kaleta, Dan Paille, Nathan Paetsch and Andrew Peters (OK, threw that one in there for comedic effect), was so goddamned soft. Not the toughest lineup, but tough enough to make a statement here and there.

The Sabres started out last season wanting to make those statements, and did so in early games, like on Long Island when Rivet went flying in to cover for Mair. It pretty much disappeared as the season went along. Are you going to pretend that's not coaching?

Ruff's still here because he's comfortable. As Regier and Quinn are. And probably because he's not nearly as confident in his abilities as many of the fans are.

The tough guys you mentioned were not in the lineup for big chunks of the season. Rivet missed 18 games. Gaustad missed 20. Kaleta missed 31. Peters missed (or was scratched for) 54. Paetsch missed (or was scratched for) 59.

When Rivet wasn't in the lineup, the D group consisted of: Tallinder, Lydman, Teppo, Sekera, Butler and Spacek. Not one defenseman inclined to start a fight after his goalie gets run into. That's not a coaching issue, it's a personnel issue. Lindy can't make a tough stew without tough groceries.

How about they start off by skating on to the ice to something other than the soundtrack of Snow White.

Metallica? Pantera, anyone? Avenged Sevenfold? Alice In Chains, Foo Fighters, old Van Halen, anything with a loud guitar and a belowing voice will do. It goes with hockey. The crap that they play at the arena would turn Ron Jeremy into Mr. Softie.

Lindy can't make a tough stew without tough groceries.

oouuh, I love tough groceries. Like over cooked meat and beef jerky...which I guess is over cooked meat.

Metallica? Pantera, anyone? Avenged Sevenfold? Alice In Chains, Foo Fighters, old Van Halen, anything with a loud guitar and a belowing voice will do. It goes with hockey. The crap that they play at the arena would turn Ron Jeremy into Mr. Softie.

oouuh, I love tough groceries. Like over cooked meat and beef jerky...which I guess is over cooked meat.

I'll take this for the theme ALONE!! Show some big time hits on the screen with a vision of the Cup - NOTHING ELSE MATTERS. Make that the theme for the locker room..........

Like "Got it bad, got it bad....I'm hot for hockey. I brought my, sti-ick... Gimme something to skate on man...

Archived