Quick look at schedule ... fast start needed

BetweenThePipes00

Ryan Miller said next season's team needs to forget about 05-07 and find its own identity. I wonder how this will jibe with the home-heavy early schedule. After a typical Lindy Ruff slow start, how long will it be before we hear about how "the boys" need to hit the road, ya know, to find themselves? Yup, starting on the cynicism a little early. Why wait 'til all the stores are crowded?

Ryan Miller said next season's team needs to forget about 05-07 and find its own identity. I wonder how this will jibe with the home-heavy early schedule. After a typical Lindy Ruff slow start, how long will it be before we hear about how "the boys" need to hit the road, ya know, to find themselves? Yup, starting on the cynicism a little early. Why wait 'til all the stores are crowded?

They had a fast start last year. Post-lock out they've started the year quickly 50% of the time. That number's still the same if we ignore 05-07. Is the typical Lindy Ruff slow start so typical anymore?

They had a fast start last year. Post-lock out they've started the year quickly 50% of the time. That number's still the same if we ignore 05-07. Is the typical Lindy Ruff slow start so typical anymore?

Some of you schmucks seem to think Lindy wasn't the coach pre-lockout.

We had this discussion once before. Look it up.

As I said in the other schedule thread:

9 of the first 12 against last year non-playoff teams.

Of course those are teams that the Sabres usually lose against.

Why shouldn't they lose to teams that are in the same "league" as they are?

Some of you schmucks seem to think Lindy wasn't the coach pre-lockout.

We had this discussion once before. Look it up.

I'm just saying that the slow start trend that you're trying to point at has faded off recently. Hell, it looks like it's going to be more or less the same roster as last year, a roster that just happened to get off to a quick start. If that makes me a "schmuck", then so be it.

I'm just saying that the slow start trend that you're trying to point at has faded off recently. Hell, it looks like it's going to be more or less the same roster as last year, a roster that just happened to get off to a quick start. If that makes me a "schmuck", then so be it.

The phrase "typical Lindy Ruff start" cannot be refuted by looking only at the last few years.

Now that I think of it, that previous discussion hinged on how long a "start" is. Last year's Sabres were 9-8-3 after 20 games, hardly a scintillating first quarter of the season.

The phrase "typical Lindy Ruff start" cannot be refuted by looking only at the last few years.

Now that I think of it, that previous discussion hinged on how long a "start" is. Last year's Sabres were 9-8-3 after 20 games, hardly a scintillating first quarter of the season.

So if someone questions you on something, just change the interpretation. How very deluca of you.

So if someone questions you on something, just change the interpretation. How very deluca of you.

I didn't change the interpretation. Just pointed out that there are several interpretations of what a start is. When a start includes fewer games, it looks worse for Ruff. More games, it looks better but not great. If you look at his teams' records -- all of his teams -- on December 1, how many times in 11 seasons do you think his teams have been on pace to make the playoffs? At first glance, it appears only four times, 98-99, 00-01, 05-06 and 06-07.

Where the hell is that old thread? I'm not going to crunch all the numbers again.

Sabres had a fast start last year and i believe the coach is NOT the problem. Actually sabres have gotten out to good starts for around the last 3 years.

Sabres had a fast start last year and i believe the coach is NOT the problem. Actually sabres have gotten out to good starts for around the last 3 years.

I've never said Lindy is THE problem. But IMHO he's certainly part of the problem. And the one problem that you can fix right away. Coaches are very expendable in sports. When you can't get your team into the playoffs on a regular basis, you're swept out in favor of the next guy. You should be. Winning coaches get fired!

I've never said Lindy is THE problem. But IMHO he's certainly part of the problem. And the one problem that you can fix right away. Coaches are very expendable in sports. When you can't get your team into the playoffs on a regular basis, you're swept out in favor of the next guy. You should be. Winning coaches get fired!

True... the problem with the sabres is the past 2 years they haven't been able to win the important games which is why their always looking up come April. Whcih is coaching and players both.

I didn't change the interpretation. Just pointed out that there are several interpretations of what a start is. When a start includes fewer games, it looks worse for Ruff. More games, it looks better but not great. If you look at his teams' records -- all of his teams -- on December 1, how many times in 11 seasons do you think his teams have been on pace to make the playoffs? At first glance, it appears only four times, 98-99, 00-01, 05-06 and 06-07.

Where the hell is that old thread? I'm not going to crunch all the numbers again.

I'm not completely with you on the Lindy thing, but I have serious questions about him. It just seems like lately you're spinning everything into an anti-Lindy comment.

Archived