Your Buffalo Snooze

wonderbread

Updated: 07/06/09 01:50 AM

Penguins sign Stars forward Cooper

The Associated Press

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed forward Chris Conner of the Dallas Stars to a one-year contract, team general manager Ray Shero announced Sunday.

The 5-8, 180-pound forward set new career highs with 13 points and 10 assists, while adding three goals and 10 penalty minutes in 38 games this past season. He also recorded 16 goals and 28 points along with 10 penalty minutes in 30 games with the Peoria Rivermen of the American Hockey League.

Conner was an undrafted free agent prior to signing with the Dallas Stars in 2005.

I know newspapers are going downhill but really whose fault is it?

I know newspapers are going downhill but really whose fault is it?

This is AP's fault and it's not the first time this has happened. The local news run the wire stories without checking, assuming that AP took care of all the errors.

This is AP's fault and it's not the first time this has happened. The local news run the wire stories without checking, assuming that AP took care of all the errors.

Really its the AP's fault? While I will agree they made an error, they onus lies on the individual newspapers to ensure that their information is factually correct. You know its what happens when you assume.

Really its the AP's fault? While I will agree they made an error, they onus lies on the individual newspapers to ensure that their information is factually correct. You know its what happens when you assume.

Seriously. I used to edit a freaking company newsletter, and we'd still double-check the spelling on all of the ads we sold, and we wouldn't even be the ones looking stupid if they were wrong.

Though if it's only online, it might be the AP's fault: I woudl guess that that actually is automated. If it's print...

Seriously. I used to edit a freaking company newsletter, and we'd still double-check the spelling on all of the ads we sold, and we wouldn't even be the ones looking stupid if they were wrong.

Though if it's only online, it might be the AP's fault: I woudl guess that that actually is automated. If it's print...

Standards of grammar and punctuation have deteriorated greatly over the past few years. Even the mainstream press has been found grossly negligent resulting in mistakes like this one.

I blame the Internet and text-messaging culture.

A quick Google search makes it seem that it is an automated AP thing that everyone - including NHL.com - posted without checking.

Correct, that's how the newsworld works these days. A story is fed from AP's newswire directly into its placement on Buf News and thousands other newspaper sites. The editing & fact-checking of mistakes like that are now done by the citizens at large.

The same thing happened last week when AP ran the story about Blake "Costanza."

Not for nothin', but if you want newspapers to give away all their content online for free, they are going to have a hard time paying more people to proof every AP story that comes over the feed before it hits the net. Not defending the News in particular, I have no idea if they even have a mechanism in place to fix such a thing even if they do catch it. I am sure they have their issues, on the print side too, but it's just like any other business. Newspapers are not a government agency and no one is bailing them out. No one buying ads+no one buying papers=Jobs lost and crappy product. A guy going from Dallas to Pittsburgh with no Buffalo ties is the least of their worries.

I recall reading a notice posted in a local newspaper some years ago (NOT the S'News) placed by a family wanting to congratulate a couple on their 50th wedding anniversary. The notice read "Congratulations to Sam and Ella* on their 50th anniversary from all of their decedents". Decedents? That means dead people......I think they were looking for "descendants". :rolleyes:

*Not their real names.

Not for nothin', but if you want newspapers to give away all their content online for free, they are going to have a hard time paying more people to proof every AP story that comes over the feed before it hits the net. Not defending the News in particular, I have no idea if they even have a mechanism in place to fix such a thing even if they do catch it. I am sure they have their issues, on the print side too, but it's just like any other business. Newspapers are not a government agency and no one is bailing them out. No one buying ads+no one buying papers=Jobs lost and crappy product. A guy going from Dallas to Pittsburgh with no Buffalo ties is the least of their worries.

This story won't even run in print.

Archived