Sabres FA recruiting problem

PromoTheRobot

Maybe I just missed it in another column. Gleason refers to problems with recruitment when it comes to the Sabres in free agency. But he doesn't say what the problem stems from.

With the Bills the problem is mainly that Buffalo is not glamorous enough for most NFL players, though their lack of success is probably a factor too. I don't think Buffalo as a destination would be a big turnoff for most NHL players, especially ones that grew up in Southern Ontario.

So is what makes the Sabres so unattractive is the ownership/management that is more concerned with pinching pennies than winning? Maybe when a once-great team is allowed to fall apart players tend to avoid you.

PTR

I really don't believe hte Sabres have a recruiting problem with UFAs, I think they're not trying. I'd be more convinced if there was some real evidence: public statements from players saying as much, the front office saying it, or our UFAs signing for much more than their market rates.

I really don't believe hte Sabres have a recruiting problem with UFAs, I think they're not trying. I'd be more convinced if there was some real evidence: public statements from players saying as much, the front office saying it, or our UFAs signing for much more than their market rates.

I'm with you in not expecting any FA signings, unless it is strictly a depth typed player. They may get involved in some trade activity and much of that depends on the market. Either way I didn't expect any huge changes.

I thought this statement from Bucky's Thursday column is a direct hit in terms of where the Sabres biggest FO problem lies...

"Apparently, they're taking the trade route toward improvement. That's fine so long as you understand trades also come at a price. Surrendering assets isn't easy for a team that in recent years has been smitten with mediocre players."

I thought this statement from Bucky's Thursday column is a direct hit in terms of where the Sabres biggest FO problem lies...

"Apparently, they're taking the trade route toward improvement. That's fine so long as you understand trades also come at a price. Surrendering assets isn't easy for a team that in recent years has been smitten with mediocre players."

Correct. It would be nice if people didn't insist on believing we were going to get a top line forward for Tallinder and Hecht. Any strong top-6 forward is going to cost us some combination of Sekera, Butler, Roy, Kennedy and/or Stafford. If we can unload Tallinder, Lydman and/or Hecht in the bargain, great, but we're going to have to part with something good as well.

Unfortunately, Bucky's columns are always masked by his obvious disdain for Darcy and LQ.

He seems to never get past the hair-across-his-ass attitude towards the gentlemen in charge to make lucid arguments.

I like Bucky. I look forward to reading his columns.

But the work seems really incomplete lately.

We should expect more from Jim Kelley's replacement.

Archived