Brooks Orpik!

deluca67

The problem with the Sabres is that they are a mediocre team, and were a pretty mediocre team even before the lockout when they were missing the playoffs. In 2003-2004, the Sabres finished 10th. They finished 10th the last two seasons. The Sabres had 2 seasons when they were really good and did not capitalize on it and try to keep that team together. And when they didn't make the playoffs, they did not suck so much that they would get a top 3 pick. This is the problem with the Sabres and any sport for that matter. You either want to be good enough to make the playoffs or really bad that you get a top pick in the draft. The Penguins did well by sucking for four straight years to acquire such young talent. The Sabres are a mediocre team, do not get a top pick and end up getting decent first round picks, but not elite first round picks, and that hurts them. It's a vicious cycle.

If I'm Darcy though, I try to trade up this year and get Tampa's pick. They have said they are open to deals. I'd trade this year's first, Tallinder, T.J. Brennan, and next year's second rounder for the 2nd pick in this year's draft. I would love a chance to get a guy like Victor Hedman. Tampa's in desperate need of defenseman, and if you throw in 2 defenseman and 2 top picks, I think you've got a legitimate shot at getting that 2nd pick from Tampa. That's my opinion.

If I'm Darcy though, I try to trade up this year and get Tampa's pick. They have said they are open to deals. I'd trade this year's first, Tallinder, T.J. Brennan, and next year's second rounder for the 2nd pick in this year's draft. I would love a chance to get a guy like Victor Hedman. Tampa's in desperate need of defenseman, and if you throw in 2 defenseman and 2 top picks, I think you've got a legitimate shot at getting that 2nd pick from Tampa. That's my opinion.

Of course they say they are open...that's just business, but it'll take a better deal than that.

The first 5 picks are usually solid, exceptional talents.

You are probably talking 3 first round picks for starters, and then players.

Good points all around, but DeLuca is absolutely right that the Sabres should've cleared some salaries and gone after Orpik or someone like him last summer.

If I remember correctly, everyone expected Orpik to go for around $4M/yr, but he signed with Pittsburgh for something low (like 2.5M/yr) because there wasn't that much interest (or he accepted a hometown discount). Should Darcy have offered something? Probably, but I don't think they'd offer $4M/yr, so they didn't 'waste their time' with a lower bid since they figured someone would give him a bigger offer anyway.

If I remember correctly, everyone expected Orpik to go for around $4M/yr, but he signed with Pittsburgh for something low (like 2.5M/yr) because there wasn't that much interest (or he accepted a hometown discount). Should Darcy have offered something? Probably, but I don't think they'd offer $4M/yr, so they didn't 'waste their time' with a lower bid since they figured someone would give him a bigger offer anyway.

By most accounts, he'll be lucky to make it to the AHL, much less the NHL. Plus, I believe that he was converted from defenseman to forward.

And back to D again from what I'm being told. Not that it really matters though, I can't see them signing. That decision is coming up right around the corner (if it hasn't been made already).

No matter which team drafts where, the biggest difference here is that the Pens are run like an NHL franchise should be run. Open your checkbook and do what it takes to win. This is a team that was as close to moving or folding as the Sabres were. They did what they had to for them to become competitive. The Sabres have done nothing more than try to keep their heads above water and that's all they continue to do. They are barely staying afloat while the Pans are thriving and enjoying a Stanley Cup. Brooks Orpik is as close to the Stanley Cup that the city of Buffalo is going to get.

On a side note...How well did that move work out for Hossa? He left Pitt to play for Det because he said his best chance at winning the Cup would be for him to go to Detroit. Ooops!

No matter which team drafts where, the biggest difference here is that the Pens are run like an NHL franchise should be run. Open your checkbook and do what it takes to win. This is a team that was as close to moving or folding as the Sabres were. They did what they had to for them to become competitive. The Sabres have done nothing more than try to keep their heads above water and that's all they continue to do. They are barely staying afloat while the Pans are thriving and enjoying a Stanley Cup. Brooks Orpik is as close to the Stanley Cup that the city of Buffalo is going to get.

You do realize that the Penguins had a lower cap/payroll last year (2007-08) than the Sabres? This year, when they thought that they had a great chance to win the cup, they bumped that up closer to the cap as the Sabres did in 2006-07.

There's a difference between spending money and spending it wisely. We had Max, Ales and Hank for $3.33, $2.33 and $2.56 million, while they had Malkin, Crosby and Staal at $3.83, $3.70 and $2.20 million. We weren't spending it wisely, while they were lucky to have three #1/#2 overall picks under their rookie contracts (not to mention Fleury for $1.295 million.) One is a position we shouldn't be in, while the other is a position that we can't be in (without being terrible for 4 or 5 years.) It's not like Pittsburgh is perfect; they paid Satan $3.5 million this year and ended up sending him to the AHL. Having less-than-reliable wingers like that is part of what put them in 10th place behind us well into the season despite having the dynamic duo. If we can't spend as much as we want (which a lot of teams can't), then we need to at least spend wisely.

You do realize that the Penguins had a lower cap/payroll last year (2007-08) than the Sabres? This year, when they thought that they had a great chance to win the cup, they bumped that up closer to the cap as the Sabres did in 2006-07.

There's a difference between spending money and spending it wisely. We had Max, Ales and Hank for $3.33, $2.33 and $2.56 million, while they had Malkin, Crosby and Staal at $3.83, $3.70 and $2.20 million. We weren't spending it wisely, while they were lucky to have three #1/#2 overall picks under their rookie contracts (not to mention Fleury for $1.295 million.) One is a position we shouldn't be in, while the other is a position that we can't be in (without being terrible for 4 or 5 years.) It's not like Pittsburgh is perfect; they paid Satan $3.5 million this year and ended up sending him to the AHL. Having less-than-reliable wingers like that is part of what put them in 10th place behind us well into the season despite having the dynamic duo. If we can't spend as much as we want (which a lot of teams can't), then we need to at least spend wisely.

Great point!

I'd sure love to have Malkin Crosby and Stall instead of Max, Alex and Hank!!! :death:

Archived