Hamilton/Buffalo Sabres?

bottlecap

The posters who have found the need to insult along with disagree proves that there's alot of ignorance here.

A move like the one you suggest would be horrible for the city. Take away 20 games (how exactly would they split up an odd number of home games anyway?) and that's a lot of lost money. The players wouldn't be all to crazy about it either. Where exactly would they live? I guess it all depends on how they'd split the schedule, but they would be spending enough time in both locations that they would probably need a place to stay in both cities. That's extra cash out of their pockets.

And maybe the biggest question of all, what would you do with the playoffs?

I was able to scrape up two cents so here it is.

The Bills moved 1 game a year for a limited number of years and look at the anger and negative reaction the Bills have gotten. If the Sabres where to try to move 20 home games to the Hamilton the Buffalo sports fan will take it as the Franchise is giving up on the City of Buffalo. Many feel the Bills moving of one game is just their first step out of town. A similar move by the Sabres would be a crushing blow to the Buffalo sports fan.

There is also the financial aspect. Can the Arena survive with a additional 20 empty dates? If the Sabres were to announce 20 home dates are moving they might as well have the demolition team start work on the HSBC as soon as the Aud's demolition is complete.

From the news this morning. Not exactly along the same line as the thread, but I didn't want to start a new Balsillie one.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/694521.html

He says that there are twice the number of die hard fans in the Southern Ontario market than in the New York city market. Because of that, a team in Hamilton would not draw fans away from Buffalo.

I would like to see the statistics for myself. He may be basing it on percentage rather than actual number of people. I'm not so sure that the greater Toronto/Southern Ontario region has even more people than the New York area. Even if it does, it's not in the same geographic radius.

From the news this morning. Not exactly along the same line as the thread, but I didn't want to start a new Balsillie one.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/694521.html

He says that there are twice the number of die hard fans in the Southern Ontario market than in the New York city market. Because of that, a team in Hamilton would not draw fans away from Buffalo.

I would like to see the statistics for myself. He may be basing it on percentage rather than actual number of people. I'm not so sure that the greater Toronto/Southern Ontario region has even more people than the New York area. Even if it does, it's not in the same geographic radius.

Obviously he's trying to make a case for the team, but I really think there are more Leafs fans in southern Ontario than Sabres fans. Due to recent success of the Sabres, the Leafs treading water, and the lack of available tickets in the Toronto area have drawn more fans to the States. If the Leafs start winning, the Sabres will be an afterthought.

Archived