Zamboni Article

\GoBillsInDallas/

I don't know if anyone else out there is old enough to remember the old Zamboni that Pittsburgh had for years. the top of the machine (where the shaved ice gets dumped into) was open. You could see the little "buckets" on a chain coming up from the scraper and dumping the shavings into the tank. Kind of cool, actually.

I'm not quite old enough to remember this one: The last NHL arena to get a Zamboni machine was, believe it or not, the old Madison Square Garden. They resurfaced the ice the old way, which was to scrape off the "snow" with shovels. To give the ice a fresh surface, they had a barrel filled with hot water on a sled. The water dripped down to a felt pad sitting on the ice - two guys used to pull it around the rink. The two guys were nicknamed, of course, Zam and Boni.

Nice article.

When I got my Bachelor's, Frank Zamboni received an honorary doctorate. (Unfortunately he was too ill to accept the honor in person.)

That's the kind of thing I would love to see. It's so much better than the random politician or big time actor. I would much rather try to strike up a conversation with someone like that.

Archived