Sabres who don't like to face the media...

LabattBlue

I found this mentioned on another hockey board. It is an excerpt from a recent chat Bucky held.

Fan...Who are the players that regularly met with the media after games?

Bucky...Ryan Miller, Jason Pominville, Adam Mair, Jaroslav Spacek, Craig Rivet. Thomas Vanek also was pretty good. Miller was the best by a mile. Too many others would get undressed ASAP, jump in the showers and disappear. Several players would literally slip out the side door and walk all the way around the arena and out the back door to the players' parking lot. I saw Connolly pull that stunt after a practice, when he saw the media and literally made a 180-degree turn and take the long way out. That's weak.

Here is a link to Bucky's chat from 4/16...

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2009/0...ive-chat-2.html

High profile guys missing from this list...Roy, Stafford, Connolly & Gaustad. Isn't Ruff letting them off the hook by allowing them to sidestep the media? I've stated recently that the Sabres need to send one of their "stars" packing in an attempt to wake up the rest of the team and I'm beginning to think the guy who should go is Roy. He would definitely bring the most in return when you look at his productivity, contract status and age. I'd prefer it be Connolly, but he doesn't have the same trade value as Roy.

I've seen another thread recently on a different Sabres board advocating trading Roy in a package(other pieces coming and going) to move up to 4 or 5 and take Brayden Schenn or Evander Kane. I'm ready to hop on board this train.

High profile guys missing from this list...Roy, Stafford, Connolly & Gaustad.

Other than Miller, Roy has been one of the most frequently interviewed Sabres over the past two years. Gaustad has also given several interviews, including his most famous one after the Washington game where he said that things would change ... and they did ... for about a month.

I've seen/heard plenty with Roy, Stafford, Connolly & Gaustad. Not to mention Lydman, Lalime, McArthur, Max, and some of the others. Gaustad had been on weekly on WGR for a while there. It depends on who the reporters have an interest in talking to at the time - for example you don't go talking to Stafford if Connolly was the one who scored two goals and got an assist in the game - and how the players feel after the game. I wouldn't want to go talking to a reporter if I were pissed off at myself and/or my team mates.

I used to be a reporter, and oddly enough I've been interviewed several times for radio and TV (in situations completely unrelated to my old reporter position). I've been on both sides and I can tell you reporters, typically, suck to talk to - especially when you know they're going to use your words to complete a narrative THEY create.

Frankly, the most fair sports reporter I've heard is Paul Hamilton - and I used to work with him so I know that he's a rare breed: a reporter on the up and up (and who genuinely knows what he's talking about - unlike Gleason). I think that's why he routinely gets excellent tape from the guys in the locker room.

I would avoid Buffalo News reporters like the plague.

Other than Miller, Roy has been one of the most frequently interviewed Sabres over the past two years. Gaustad has also given several interviews, including his most famous one after the Washington game where his that things would change ... and they did ... for about a month.

You mean Bucky distorted the facts? No. No! Tom and I were starting a convo on Bucky's reputation. This kind of says it all. Connolly dared to sidestep contact with the ever-pleasant Bucky, so Bucky "outs" him on a chat.

Archived