Assuming Lindy and Darcy stay...

jimiVbaby

The playoffs are all but a hope filled tank away and another off-season is upon us. I know half of us are going to be convinced that Darcy and LQ learn from the mistakes of the last two years and the other half are convinced nothing is ever going to change. So my question is, what are the chances of an effort to reinvigorate the fan base go out and make a surprising FA deal and/or trade? The Bills sure know how to sell tickets, do the Sabres use their idea and at least toy with the idea of picking up someone like Gaborik?

Whether or not they are willing to make such a move, the big limitation on that will be money. Barring a major increase in the internal budget, unless someone wants to take Hecht off of our hands (or they trade one of the brat pack: Vanek, Roy, Pominville or Connolly), there won't be room. Even if they trade Tallinder and/or Lydman, that only helps next year.

Connolly + Gaborik = one full season

My sincere delusional fantasy is that Detroit passes on signing Hossa and the Sabres take a run at him in the summer. Fantastic two way player that would instantly reinvigorate the team.

Or, maybe, they'll sign Hossa and let Franzen test the market. I'd take the Mule ... though, I'd be afraid that he might eat some of our smaller players ... meh, totally worth it.

The playoffs are all but a hope filled tank away and another off-season is upon us. I know half of us are going to be convinced that Darcy and LQ learn from the mistakes of the last two years and the other half are convinced nothing is ever going to change. So my question is, what are the chances of an effort to reinvigorate the fan base go out and make a surprising FA deal and/or trade? The Bills sure know how to sell tickets, do the Sabres use their idea and at least toy with the idea of picking up someone like Gaborik?

With Darcy in charge, zero.

My sincere delusional fantasy is that Detroit passes on signing Hossa and the Sabres take a run at him in the summer. Fantastic two way player that would instantly reinvigorate the team.

Yea, Im gon keep dreaming...

I like this thread, but am very ignorant of our cap situation. Do they have any room to sign a decent player?

As for Hossa, I'd pass on him, or really any other forward. This team needs a puck moving defenseman. Brian Campbell is looking to me like the "one that got away," out of the core players we lost. I was watching the Sharks last night and Dan Boyle is just an amazing player. One defensamn can really make a huge difference. Not sure who is out there available this off season, maybe Boumeister?

I like this thread, but am very ignorant of our cap situation. Do they have any room to sign a decent player?

As for Hossa, I'd pass on him, or really any other forward. This team needs a puck moving defenseman. Brian Campbell is looking to me like the "one that got away," out of the core players we lost. I was watching the Sharks last night and Dan Boyle is just an amazing player. One defensamn can really make a huge difference. Not sure who is out there available this off season, maybe Boumeister?

Really?

Don't get me wrong, I think Brian is an upgrade over most everyone on our blueline, but let's not act like he was any kind of saviour while he was here.

Our problem this year have been that other teams harass us down low in our end, and Brian had the exact same problems getting that puck out in those situations as the rest of the team did, back when he was here.

Our 14 game "streak of death" last season was a good example of how Campbell, while probably an upgrade, is not the answer either.

Get one more mean stay-at-home d-man, THEN add Brian Campbell to the mix, and we're getting there. But at 5 mill, I still think he'd be too expensive.

As a sidenote, I think pretty much our entire defensive core is made up of puck carrying defensemen, which I have to admit I consider one of our major shortcomings this year. Our team is way too one-dimensional both on defense and offense.

We need a better mix of players all-around than what we have now.

Really?

Don't get me wrong, I think Brian is an upgrade over most everyone on our blueline, but let's not act like he was any kind of saviour while he was here.

Our problem this year have been that other teams harass us down low in our end, and Brian had the exact same problems getting that puck out in those situations as the rest of the team did, back when he was here.

Our 14 game "streak of death" last season was a good example of how Campbell, while probably an upgrade, is not the answer either.

Get one more mean stay-at-home d-man, THEN add Brian Campbell to the mix, and we're getting there. But at 5 mill, I still think he'd be too expensive.

As a sidenote, I think pretty much our entire defensive core is made up of puck carrying defensemen, which I have to admit I consider one of our major shortcomings this year. Our team is way too one-dimensional both on defense and offense.

We need a better mix of players all-around than what we have now.

Give an example of the "mean" defenseman you want. Does Detriot have a mean defesman? I'd also like to get someone that could set a great example for the two young players we have here with potential. Sakara looks like a full NHL season has fried his brain and Butler looks a little lost, also. Lydman just is not a top 2 NHL defenseman but he is being asked to play as one.

Give an example of the "mean" defenseman you want. Does Detriot have a mean defesman? I'd also like to get someone that could set a great example for the two young players we have here with potential. Sakara looks like a full NHL season has fried his brain and Butler looks a little lost, also. Lydman just is not a top 2 NHL defenseman but he is being asked to play as one.

You're right, it doesn't need to be a "mean" defenseman as such, I'd happily settle for someone who blocks shots, and doesn't mind tying his guy up when in front of the net, and just generally do other things than wave his stick at the puck, like our current guys do all too often.

It doesn't necessarily need to be Scott Stevens reincarnated.

Agree on Lydman, he'd be a good 3/4 guy, he's a disaster as a 1/2 guy.

Interesting question. While I first I was going to say the front office would have no reason to reinvigorate a fan base that's still filling the building, I got to thinking about the anectdotal evidence of many empty (but paid for) seats this season. Some excitement wouldn't hurt, but it's probably not this group's style, as we all know. Don't know about anyone else, but the trades for Drury and Briere weren't all that exciting at first but sure paid off in the long (short?) run.

I think they will have to acquire a player from the outside, via Trade or Free Agency, to convince us they are trying to get better. I don't believe Golisano/Quinn will change anything in management, but I do think they will react to "Empty Seats", and "Silent Crowds/Booing Crowds". The self-imposed cap, and the ability to trade "overpaid/under performing" players, makes this difficult. I am a Ruff fan, and would like to see him get a chance to redeem himself. That being said, this season was the most frustrating season in a long time.

Interesting question. While I first I was going to say the front office would have no reason to reinvigorate a fan base that's still filling the building, I got to thinking about the anectdotal evidence of many empty (but paid for) seats this season. Some excitement wouldn't hurt, but it's probably not this group's style, as we all know. Don't know about anyone else, but the trades for Drury and Briere weren't all that exciting at first but sure paid off in the long (short?) run.

Archived