Forget the playoffs...Focus on the real race!

BamBam

Honestly, the publicity surrounding first overall picks adds so much to their value that I can't imagine Darcy or pretty much any GM being willing to pay the premium it would take. Do you really think that Tampa would have taken a "fair" deal (package of players that would be equally helpful to the team) for Stamkos? Nah, too much hype around his selection. If they had taken a deal, it would have been one in which they got much more than what he is really worth. I'm sure that the same would be true for Tavares.

Now, other top five picks that may be NHL soon (for example, this year, only Pietrangelo hasn't played more than half of the season in the NHL) are more likely to be involved in "fair" trades (i.e., their values wouldn't include as much hype.) A more realistic questions might be what would it take to get Victor Hedman (huge defenseman; likely #2 pick) or Evander Kane (skilled center; likely #3 pick), each of whom could probably help this team relatively quickly? Again, it would depend on how many places that we would need to move up.

Honestly, the publicity surrounding first overall picks adds so much to their value that I can't imagine Darcy or pretty much any GM being willing to pay the premium it would take. Do you really think that Tampa would have taken a "fair" deal (package of players that would be equally helpful to the team) for Stamkos? Nah, too much hype around his selection. If they had taken a deal, it would have been one in which they got much more than what he is really worth. I'm sure that the same would be true for Tavares.

Now, other top five picks that may be NHL soon (for example, this year, only Pietrangelo hasn't played more than half of the season in the NHL) are more likely to be involved in "fair" trades (i.e., their values wouldn't include as much hype.) A more realistic questions might be what would it take to get Victor Hedman (huge defenseman; likely #2 pick) or Evander Kane (skilled center; likely #3 pick), each of whom could probably help this team relatively quickly? Again, it would depend on how many places that we would need to move up.

To depend on an 18 year old kid is not really reasonable. I think it's more hope for the future. You look at this team now, and sometimes I feel like there is little hope. There really is no one in the pipeline that gets me excited about the future. Gerbe? eh. Kennedy? Oh sweet, another 3rd line center. After that it's a muddled mess of low level prospects and underachieving 1st round picks. A trade for Tavares/Hedman/Kane at least helps me see some light at the end of the tunnel.

The link above appears to have been updated today.

Now shows the Sabrs drafting 11. Suggests the following:

Dmitry Kulikov

Ht/Wt: 6.01/195 lbs

Position: D

Drafted From: Drummondville (QMJHL)

Just for the hell of it...what do you think it would cost Buffalo to trade up to 1 and take John Travares?

All of our picks in 09 and 10? Maybe not enough...throw in the arena, that STILL isn't enough.

Now, throw in Tim Connolly or Maxim Afinogenov...deal!!

Does it have to be the one player that we are actually underpaying? Yes, I know, stupid question; you have to give something to get something. He has more value because he is underpaid, but at $4 million, he is such a great deal; probably the best that Darcy has made post-lockout. I'd almost rather give up Vanek. Tavares would be about $4 million as well (including bonuses; based on Tavares and other recent #1's.) That $3 million + in cap and $2.4 million + in salary saved (vs. Vanek) could go a long way toward upgrading other positions. Obviously, I'd rather not give up either of them.

Again, though, you can't just say "plus a first" because the range in values from 2nd to 18th (my estimated range from a terrible finish + good lottery luck to a great finish + bad lottery luck) is huge.

The Sabres are a .500 team when it comes down to it, so the pick I was "throwing in there" was in the 12-15 range. As much as I like Roy for the money (you make a solid case) I'm all for getting all the top line players as possible. It might just be me, but Roy doesn't scream first liner like Vanek (already) does. Roy is a tradable asset because of the salary, age and impact he's already made in the league.

I could conceive a child tonight and he should graduate elementary school in time to congratulate

Dipietro on his UFA status.

He'll retire thanks to the hip long before he reaches the end of that contract. Really, I can't see him even getting near year 10.

that's most likely.

just a silly contract even in the best of circumstances.

The funny thing is that other than the hip issue, it really doesn't look all that bad anymore. With the way contracts exploded the last two years, that $4 million rate would be a steal for a good goalie without those issues (which DiPietro had a few of going in). Give that deal to someone like Luongo and I think it would look really good right about now.

But yeah, Wang is an idiot.

Archived