Jordan Nolan suspended twenty games

millbank

Jordan Nolan Suspended

In making the announcement as the result of the review, Commissioner David Branch stated that "the League is most concerned regarding the inappropriate and concerning actions of player Nolan and we must all work to eliminate these type of bullying tactics from our game. We are most fortunate that player Mahalak of the Plymouth Whalers was not more seriously injured"

Bullying tactics? Must admit to only seeing Greyhounds a few times this season. They a last placed team. Seems to me a fight where another player got hurt , in this case appearances were worse than the actual result. Its clear in Junior hockey they heading down road to flat out eliminating fighting from game.

Can't help but get a image of guys in dresses , crying about bullies.......

Bullying tactics? Must admit to only seeing Greyhounds a few times this season. They a last placed team. Seems to me a fight where another player got hurt , in this case appearances were worse than the actual result. Its clear in Junior hockey they heading down road to flat out eliminating fighting from game.

From the video you linked it sort of looked like Nolan jumped him and was throwing punches before Mahalak could defend himself. The announcers also said that Nolan was looking for retribution after Mahalak had run him over. If that was the case, then I agree 110% with the suspension. Guys want to even the score, you drop your gloves and fight straight up. Stop this crap of jumping guys and throwing punches before they know what hit them.

The rest of your post - going down the road to eliminate fighting and guys in dresses - doesn't even warrant a response, IMO.

From the video you linked it sort of looked like Nolan jumped him and was throwing punches before Mahalak could defend himself. The announcers also said that Nolan was looking for retribution after Mahalak had run him over. If that was the case, then I agree 110% with the suspension. Guys want to even the score, you drop your gloves and fight straight up. Stop this crap of jumping guys and throwing punches before they know what hit them.

The rest of your post - going down the road to eliminate fighting and guys in dresses - doesn't even warrant a response, IMO.

So you think this deserved a 20 game suspension?

2-q1yN-i3cY

would be interesting to hear more. If there are posters who seen this or attend game would be interesting to know. Frankly the evidence on hand is not enough for me to make comment one way or the other.

Got to admit to being conflicted regarding fighting. I am uncomfortable at the amount of changes being made, but am certain no matter how angry i get at another opponent, don't ever want to see injury. There is a certain inevitably of a player getting seriously hurt as was evidenced by the most recent tragedy, in that light I see fighting as something that needs to be banned.

Most of us cheer when our home guy wins a fight, but the cheering would certainly stop if opponent did not get up.

If you have listened to commissioner Branch and his stance regarding fight in hockey and how he has changed, you would better understand my comment.

They are going down road to eliminate fighting....

So you think this deserved a 20 game suspension?

2-q1yN-i3cY

No, probably not 20 games, since Kaleta was at least facing him and had a chance to defend himself - but it does warrant a suspension or fine, IMO.

But again - the YouTube of the Nolan incident wasn't the best one to judge. IF he did jump him from the side or back (like it seems might have happened) then absolutely, it deserves 20 games.

You are saying "If" he did..... my post was for basic information. It would be fair to know better the incident. Nothing in that short clip shows anything more than guys fighting and unfortunately one players head hitting ice. The issue of fighting has become a huge one in the Ontario Hockey League, commissioner Branch changing his entire posture from it being part of the game to now being something that need be changed. At issue is how to change the culture of the game where fighting is not the norm and eventually something not practiced. Do they outlaw it outright or do they in the lower leagues outlaw it, that by the time players get to the NHL , many generations will not have grown up with fighting such that fighting in hockey will die a natural death.

-you do condescend...

No, probably not 20 games, since Kaleta was at least facing him and had a chance to defend himself - but it does warrant a suspension or fine, IMO.

But again - the YouTube of the Nolan incident wasn't the best one to judge. IF he did jump him from the side or back (like it seems might have happened) then absolutely, it deserves 20 games.

Jordan Nolan Suspended

In making the announcement as the result of the review, Commissioner David Branch stated that "the League is most concerned regarding the inappropriate and concerning actions of player Nolan and we must all work to eliminate these type of bullying tactics from our game. We are most fortunate that player Mahalak of the Plymouth Whalers was not more seriously injured"

You can't tell from the video how he jumped the guy, but it certainly implies that is what happened. I don't know, the guy is not even moving at the end of the fight so I have no problem throwing the guy out of the game forever. I don't watch hockey to see that level of violence. Yes it is a physical game but we put people in jail for not being able to appropriately respond to their own anger, so I don't see why we should condone that kind of behavior in a game.

I don't disagree with you. Much of my life watched hockey and enjoyed the fights, 40's, 50's 60's 70's, it the norm to see bench clearing brawls, one games got out of hand on the scoreboard, fighting ensued. Must admit i rethought it watching the brawl between Montreal and Quebec, quite a few years ago now. Can remember being right into watching the entire event it actually looking humorous to some extent. That was until a player was punched against the glass and fell to the ice. There is no chance i can cheer to see another person get injured. The theater of fighting certainly is something to see, but the very real inevitable danger of a person getting serious injured is to present and if it be just one person , that is far to many. imo

At issue is how they make this change, how to change the culture of game. It must start from the earliest of ages and continue right up through the ranks.

You can't tell from the video how he jumped the guy, but it certainly implies that is what happened. I don't know, the guy is not even moving at the end of the fight so I have no problem throwing the guy out of the game forever. I don't watch hockey to see that level of violence. Yes it is a physical game but we put people in jail for not being able to appropriately respond to their own anger, so I don't see why we should condone that kind of behavior in a game.

Too hard to say anything, depends if he was jumped or not... but while people are crying about fights. How about a rule where a player has to have his chinstrap secured tight enough to actually have it perform its function of keep a helmet on said players head. Every time I see a players chinstrap hanging off his helmet they are almost low enough for them to trip over (exaggeration but you know what I mean).

You are saying "If" he did..... my post was for basic information. It would be fair to know better the incident. Nothing in that short clip shows anything more than guys fighting and unfortunately one players head hitting ice. The issue of fighting has become a huge one in the Ontario Hockey League, commissioner Branch changing his entire posture from it being part of the game to now being something that need be changed. At issue is how to change the culture of the game where fighting is not the norm and eventually something not practiced. Do they outlaw it outright or do they in the lower leagues outlaw it, that by the time players get to the NHL , many generations will not have grown up with fighting such that fighting in hockey will die a natural death.

-you do condescend...

Pretty sure I was clear in my first reply. I described what I thought I saw, and then gave my opinion about whether the suspension was fair given what I believed happened.

I don't know what your last comment in the post refers to, but it seems unnecessary, and frankly, if you thought my reply to KR was condescending, then I don't know what to tell you except that is a completely inaccurate conclusion.

fair enough, trust i am clear in my comment , I stand by what i have written... all entitled to our opinions... :)

Pretty sure I was clear in my first reply. I described what I thought I saw, and then gave my opinion about whether the suspension was fair given what I believed happened.

I don't know what your last comment in the post refers to, but it seems unnecessary, and frankly, if you thought my reply to KR was condescending, then I don't know what to tell you except that is a completely inaccurate conclusion.

I don't disagree with you. Much of my life watched hockey and enjoyed the fights, 40's, 50's 60's 70's, it the norm to see bench clearing brawls, one games got out of hand on the scoreboard, fighting ensued. Must admit i rethought it watching the brawl between Montreal and Quebec, quite a few years ago now. Can remember being right into watching the entire event it actually looking humorous to some extent. That was until a player was punched against the glass and fell to the ice. There is no chance i can cheer to see another person get injured. The theater of fighting certainly is something to see, but the very real inevitable danger of a person getting serious injured is to present and if it be just one person , that is far to many. imo

At issue is how they make this change, how to change the culture of game. It must start from the earliest of ages and continue right up through the ranks.

Agree, that is what the challenge is. I don't think they will ever completely get rid of fighting in the game and I don't have any problem with the majority of fights that break out.

Where I have the problem is all of the cheap shots, sucker punches, jumping guys, stomping, (biting now, aaahhh) etc., etc., etc., . The list keeps getting longer and underlying all of it, in my opinion, is inappropriate response to anger. That is what is getting lost and that is also the type of incidents that tarnish the game and the physical play that is a natural part of it.

Well, a player got hurt, and while the youtube clip is not very definitive, from what I saw, it looked like Nolan jumped him and started swinging before Mahalak was ready. Given the situation of it being more of an attack than an actual fight and that a player got hurt as a result of the attack, I think 20 games is warranted.

As for the major issue with regard to fighting, I have become more and more conflicted recently. I don't like cheap shots whether legal or not. I don't like hits to the head. In cases where guys are head hunting, they deserve to get a beating in a fight. But, if that fight results in an injury to the other player, does the eye-for-eye concept really work and is it justified? I don't know.

I think I can be on board with millbank in that I think hockey as a whole should eliminate fighting at all levels below professional hockey. I don't see why it should be included even in juniors. I think the game and officials at lower levels really need to do a better job of policing the game cause in reality it is literally a bunch of kids playing ice hockey. These are not adults or grown men, it's a bunch of kids. When you are under 18, you are a kid, not an adult. I know juniors pits guys from the ages of 16-20 against each other, but using those age ranges, about 40-50% of the players are likely under 18 and not yet adults. Given that, the game really needs to protect these kids who are playing hockey and make it a safe environment to improve their craft rather than throwing underage kids to the wolves.

As a whole, I'm fine with fighting at professional levels of hockey as all professional players are adults and know what they are getting themselves into. But, even then, I could do without staged fights as I find them to be useless. I'm beginning to see a future like Larry Playfair where there will not be fighting in hockey. I think fights will still happen, but it will be out of the game and anyone who fights will be tossed and or suspended. I think I can live with that if the officials on the ice and off do a better job of punishing players and policing the game. But, given the league's history, that's a big if.

Archived