IF we make the playoffs............

rickshaw

Carolina is hot and look to be moving on to the playoffs.

Great to see them win outright tonight. So we are now 3 behind NYR with a game in hand and we hold the tiebreaker with them. Florida is the other team that will be one to watch and quite possibly Montreal.

It's clear that Carolina are on a roll and we won't catch them, IMO, so let's focus on the other 3 teams.

I haven't checked their skeds, but I know we hold the tiebreaker with NYR and Montreal. Not sure about Florida.

Maybe we CAN get in???

We play Florida twice. That's HUGE 4 points. But if we don't start going on a bit of a run of our own, we won't matter. I truly believe out of those teams Sabres are the best, but only when we play up to it. Which isn't too often. We'll see. Huge 3 games this week for Buffalo. If we win all of them we could be back in the top 8 by Saturday night.

Buffalo has based their entire "playoff run" on the collapse of other teams. They have yet to take that first step towards a playoff push. It doesn't matter what other teams do. Until the Sabres get their heads out of their collective arses and put together a 4-5 game run there will be no playoffs. This win 1 lose 1 just isn't going to get it done.

It's imperative we win all our games against the teams we are battling with, outright. None of this winning twice while giving up 2 points as well. Gotta beat Florida both times in regulation.

Starts against Philly Tues night. We haven't played them well since Marty left. Gotta get back to the good old days from when Hitch was coaching and we were killing them.

Buffalo has based their entire "playoff run" on the collapse of other teams. They have yet to take that first step towards a playoff push. It doesn't matter what other teams do. Until the Sabres get their heads out of their collective arses and put together a 4-5 game run there will be no playoffs. This win 1 lose 1 just isn't going to get it done.

Agreed. If they don't start a run this week, they will be dead in the water. Tomorrow is a must win @ philly, and they can't lose any points to Florida on Thursday and then Saturday against a weak team on home ice. We need 6 points this week.

Agreed. If they don't start a run this week, they will be dead in the water. Tomorrow is a must win @ philly, and they can't lose any points to Florida on Thursday and then Saturday against a weak team on home ice. We need 6 points this week.

It's has to start now. It just seems we have been saying this for a couple of weeks. At what point does it click in with the players? What are they waiting for?

It's has to start now. It just seems we have been saying this for a couple of weeks. At what point does it click in with the players? What are they waiting for?

It definitely seems like we have been saying this for the past two seasons with this team. They need to wake up very quickly, too bad it didn't happen on Saturday we may not be as concerned.

a playmaking center? :ph34r:

tough crowd here tonight.

If that "play making center" could somehow instill a sense of urgency and desperation you may be on to something there. Does this team want to make the playoffs? This would be a good time to show it if they do.

IMO their problem isn't center. Tim Connolly is fine. Their problem is the weak defense. I do think Tallinder and Lydman do a lot of good for the Sabres but it's the things they don't do which gets us in trouble. Silly turn overs and lack of toughness. I am still upset that Nick Foligno just can walk right up to the front of the net with no problems. He always does it to us because he knows how weak the defense is.

Said it all last season too.

"Gut check time". "Must-win game tonight", "Time to see what these guys are made of".

We brought in three players, one of them a backup, and the usual promotions from the farm, yet we're hoping things have changed.

I hope I'm wrong, but when very little has changed in the past year, what makes us think the result is going to change, other than very little?

Said it all last season too.

"Gut check time". "Must-win game tonight", "Time to see what these guys are made of".

We brought in three players, one of them a backup, and the usual promotions from the farm, yet we're hoping things have changed.

I hope I'm wrong, but when very little has changed in the past year, what makes us think the result is going to change, other than very little?

Well, I think maturation is a very real thing in hockey, from player to player and as a team- so we've got that going for us.

And to look at things in a more positive light, we added a captain, whereas last year we had none, and it might turn out to be the difference between Lalime and Thibault that decides our season.

Right now it can go either way, but the sure thing is that we'll know which way it's going very soon.

Well, I think maturation is a very real thing in hockey, from player to player and as a team- so we've got that going for us.

And to look at things in a more positive light, we added a captain, whereas last year we had none, and it might turn out to be the difference between Lalime and Thibault that decides our season.

Right now it can go either way, but the sure thing is that we'll know which way it's going very soon.

I would agree, but the only player currently who seems to have gained something substantial over the past 12 months is Vanek, whereas Pommer and Hecht have gone south real bad.

Stafford is a little better than last year, and Roy seems rather consistent in his performances, but I fail to see anybody maturing in a way that can make an impact, besides Vanek?

What's worse is that the general attitude and mindset seems not to have changed at all. It seems as though we're still dropping crucial points to teams below us in the standings.

So what gives? Did we get better over the last year? I hope so, but so far it looks a lot like last year.

Other teams step up for the playoff drive, while we seem unable to find that extra gear ourselves, leaving us scoreboard watching the final month.

IMO their problem isn't center. Tim Connolly is fine. Their problem is the weak defense. I do think Tallinder and Lydman do a lot of good for the Sabres but it's the things they don't do which gets us in trouble. Silly turn overs and lack of toughness. I am still upset that Nick Foligno just can walk right up to the front of the net with no problems. He always does it to us because he knows how weak the defense is.

I think the big problem is an overall lack of intensity. The defense's lack of physical play is symptomatic. Intensity as a habit is what the playoffs are all about. When guys like Volenchkov continually take liberties intentionally injuring our guys (slamming heads into boards, shooting pucks at heads) and there's no payback, then what's to stop them from doing it again or worse? Unfortunately we have too many meek guys and guys who are just hanging on in the NHL and it's not part of their makeup to physically attack, just to counterpunch with scoring. The Sabres need more people who can beat the crap out of the opponent.

Typical:

Correct.

Welcome to the board! Excellent first post.

I would agree, but the only player currently who seems to have gained something substantial over the past 12 months is Vanek, whereas Pommer and Hecht have gone south real bad.

Stafford is a little better than last year, and Roy seems rather consistent in his performances, but I fail to see anybody maturing in a way that can make an impact, besides Vanek?

What's worse is that the general attitude and mindset seems not to have changed at all. It seems as though we're still dropping crucial points to teams below us in the standings.

So what gives? Did we get better over the last year? I hope so, but so far it looks a lot like last year.

Other teams step up for the playoff drive, while we seem unable to find that extra gear ourselves, leaving us scoreboard watching the final month.

I agree that overall it seems like an immature team. Strangely, though, whereas last year they folded their tents every GD time they played an EC playoff team, this year they seem to rise to the occasion consistently against those teams, only to mail it in vs. the crappy teams. This is still immaturity, but somehow it feels like an improvement over last year. Perhaps I'm just kidding myself.

As for the individuals, I feel like the team's true stars -- Miller and Vanek -- have raised their games. Pommer and Hecht have shrunk, perhaps also relating to the pressure of their new contracts (like Vanek did last year). I think Stafford is maturing and is substantially better than last year.

Roy is the tricky one. I feel like he personifies this team more than any other player (or at least any forward). Very talented, makes great plays on both ends of the ice, but I just get this vibe that he's still pretty immature, and as he goes, so goes the team. He shows up and plays and helps them win, but he also has lousy games (like vs. Ottawa the other day) and the team sinks. Kinda like the Habs and Kovy.

In any case, I think we all agree that they really need to rise to the occasion and play something like .700 hockey if they want to make the playoffs. I feel confident they have the talent, but I'm not sure they have the mental toughness to do it.

In any case, I think we all agree that they really need to rise to the occasion and play something like .700 hockey if they want to make the playoffs. I feel confident they have the talent, but I'm not sure they have the mental toughness to do it.

That's pretty much how I feel about them too.

That's pretty much how I feel about them too.

Which to me just seems ridiculous. We're talking about a bunch of professional hockey players, who are older than I am, who have been playing this game their entire lives. If these guys don't have mental toughness at this point in their lives, when are they going to find it? These aren't high school kids trying to decide if they want to play hockey in college, these are GROWN #%^$#!ING MEN. If a bunch of grown men aren't mentally tough enough then they shouldn't even be playing. They should have their balls removed for being a disgrace to real men everywhere. Real Flannel wearin, ass kickin, whiskey drinkin, vinegar pissin men wouldn't have to be worried about this kind of #%^$#!. They would play hockey like men. Men with big #%^$#!in balls.

:censored:

Pittsburgh vs Florida...................whadda ya know? Pittsburgh with 2 points, Florida with 1. Anyone else notice how many games went to OT last night??? Six games gave out 3 points.

We're done!

If we are, then the guys need look no further than the mirror for someone to blame.

Over the past few years as I've gotten older, sports hasn't meant as much to me. The winning is nice but the losing hurts less and less.

But one thing that does suck, is not having a chance to win the Cup and when you don't make the playoffs, it sucks. It's that time of the year where you truly get excited, hoping this is the year. But when they don't get in.............

Last year was doubly bad. The Sabres are my team but the Canucks are my number 1B. When both don't get in in the same year, it's even worse. As of now, I guess I'll be pulling for the Canucks, unless they start to slide again. But if given the choice, I wish my Sabres would make it.

sigh

From right now, i think to make the playoffs they have to win 7 of 8 games for the rest of the month. If they do that which i think they can if they play the way they can. then they would be in the playoffs without killing themselves for the last 7 games in april. which they play atl, washington, devils, red wings, maple leafs, car, and boston. The rest of march is real big bc that is a hard end to the schedule.

Archived